white ragworm

carphead07

hello fisher men

i just wanted to now a bit about whitw ragworm because everbody says there better but are they and are they worth the price

all information will be good

tight lines

mike finlay

mike finlay the carpinator

hello fisher men

i just wanted to now a bit about whitw ragworm because everbody says there better but are they and are they worth the price

all information will be good

tight lines

mike finlay

I think in clear water conditions they are very attractive to fish, and better than green rag. Flatties love a moving visible bait, and white rag are good in those conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea on the tiny white rag (around two inches long very thin and active) i got a load digging for lug last year and someone told me it was harbour rag and supposedly good for matchfishing. I didnt get a bloody thing tho!! :schmoll:

Any feedback appreciated :thumbs:

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

It's a common misconception that white rag fishes well in clear water because of its colour. I've used white rag extensively in very turbid water and it is a very effective bait - nothing to do with colour! Some years ago I discussed the use of white rag in turbid water with England international Jim Doby he agreed with my experiences.

Small rag can catch fish but as with all baits there has to be enough to produce a good scent trail. To be effective you will need to put plenty on the hook which is difficult with such small worms. I used to use a fine wire hook when using harbour rag for flounders when match fishing. I don't know if you can still get hold of them they where made by mustad and had a plain shank and they had to be whipped on to the hook snood. To bait up you need to thread a small length of the worm at the head end and leave the rest dangling and then thread the next worm on so you have a bunch of them on the hook.

The most effective whites for bigger fish are the big snake whites. I once measured one at 15 inches and I have dug larger ones.

The problem with large whites is that they are very hard to come by and unless you are competing in match fishing at a high level then they are not worth the effort of collecting.

Think I would agree with Phil. But if you can get hold of them and know what your doing they are electric. Speaking strictly about cod fishing and more so cod fishing on rocks and scars, at the right venue at the right time they will catch you a fish when you would think nothing was alive. At the wrong venue at the wrong time you won't catch anything - not even a rockling whilst others around you catch the fish and you curse the expensive whites.

Anglers from my area drive hundreds of miles through the dead of night to go dig these worms. They wouldn't do that if they were no good.

You need the bigger one's, like these.

This is a cat litter tray with about 70. I got three trays full like this in my bait fridge.

Luckily i found a spot about 12 miles from home where i can top up anytime i get short.

th_whiterag01.jpg