Fly rods ?

codshead

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last season most of my fishing from the yak was on the fly, I use a Loomis 8wt IMX which I built myself (very easy to do with a bit of patience), many of the guys I have fly fished with this season all experienced SWFFers have stepped down to 6wt's, main reason you're over gunned with an 8wt, it's fine for fishing from the shore or into the wind, but from the yak you just don't need it. (I'm looking for a 6wt blank to build on, may go for another IMX as the 8 is sweet and very cheap)

What ever rod you choose to buy, it will need looking after, even the most expensive rods suffer with corrosion and some of the cheaper rods less so, the Greys GRX range is very popular and I know several guys that would recommend and at under £100 you can't go wrong, but you do need to flick one about with a line on it before purchasing.

Reel's if your serious about the sport then buy a good one with a good warranty, I use an Orvis Mach IV because I like the warranty and it's a cracking reel (also managed to pick it up half price :)) with one season under it's belt it's still in perfect nick but has been washed down after every outing.

Lines again, buy the best, some of the cheaper brands really suck, the Cortland 444 SL Ghost Tip is probably the most popular SWFFing line in the UK and this matched to a Sinking line (even the cheap ones are OK) you'll be adequately equipped for UK waters.

Flies, keep the sizes down if you want to catch more fish, size 2 - 8 are the norm, most shops are now starting to stock the smaller size flies. Once you start fishing you'll soon find out which types of fly you prefer, I tie all of mine with a little weight added as it aids my poor casting technique, large decievers can be very hard to cast properly as they are not very aerodynamic.

Be careful SWFFing is very addictive.

SM :)

Hi SM

If your looking for a 6wt blank for the sea, have a look at these.

http://shop.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/T...O-TiCR-X-Series

I built a 9wt for a South African guy who wanted it for "big game" fishing. Awesome power !

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Did you see the reply to the letter re sea flyfishing in SAM this month - classic dinasours :wallbash:

I do believe that everyone on here has stopped buying that mag and has followed DS's example and now subscribes to NUTS :thumbs::clap2:

Much better for keeping "Abreast" of what's going on. :rolleyes:

Did you see the reply to the letter re sea flyfishing in SAM this month - classic dinasours :wallbash:

I dont read it but would be interested in what the question and reply was.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

My interest in NUTS was purely to follow up a rumour about female pheremones being good for bait :P

After careful research I can now see how they could stimulate a rise even after sunset :D

Shame I don't like playing with flys, it could be fun.

Its official. See article in DEC 06 Lancet. ;)

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

My interest in NUTS was purely to follow up a rumour about female pheremones being good for bait :P

After careful research I can now see how they could stimulate a rise even after sunset :D

Shame I don't like playing with flys, it could be fun.

Its official. See article in DEC 06 Lancet. ;)

Yes Paul, The dusk rise is usually more productive than the dawn one. Always found it nicer to be up at the "Crack of dawn" though. The "Dawn Chorus" and all that you understand. All those Tits singing away. ^_^

Who's the ed of the lancet nowadays?

Cheers Sportsman, I'll take a look at them.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com