Floods

kestrel

Hi , I was just wondering whether a lake being flooded will make any difference to the catch rate ? Do I need to do anything different ?

I am fishing over the weekend and the lake I will be fishing is very high.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

my lakes up quite alot aswell and never usually fishes this time of year as its lower. but the water is up and is quite warm at moment(usually low and cold in winter). how much will it affect the fish.

and also usually the lake is gin clear but at the moment its like a light chocolate colour. as there used to clear water will they react different to murky water.

84854438.png

Hi,

Flooding or a water filling up happens all the time to us here in South Africa.

Yes it does affect the fish.

What we do is fish a red coloured bait. We will also use a earth worm or maggots, but something that wiggles on the hair. The reason being the fish move into the uncharted waters for a look see, earth worms come out the ground when the ground is water logged, so the fish see lots of them.

I often dip the worms in red food colour to to help the fish.

Roger

a lot of lakes in britain have suffered from lack of rain esp ones not stream fed. our lake in ockendon essex. was only 18 inches deep in the middle since september its been a complete transformation. that rain has filled it too safe levels and still filling it. without this rain ! i shudder to think how the carp would survive the winter. we lost over 80 big carp ! Still take another 3 months of what we been getting to get back to what it was 3 years ago... with the mild winter so far i would think normal carp baits be the order of the day. hey why not try legered bread ball or meat.. the weather here in uk will change to winter ,soon, so why not give it a go.