WD40 on Lures?

SpenBeck

Hi All, Just received an email - 'the 43 uses of WD40' and noticed this in at 39!

> 39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some States.

> P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

Is it OK to use in this country or is it a pollutant? If OK, has anybody tried it with success?

I remember a few years ago reading that some boat anglers had some success with it using pirks.

regards, SpenBeck

i think you are wrong when you say it is fish oil based, as far as i remember it was mineral in origin.

cheers dave.

Yepp, I think you're right CC - IIRC the base ingredient is white spirit.

I've seen this tip before but never tried it, although I used to spray all my sea fishing hooks with WD when they got contaminated with salt spray, it certainly didn't put the fish off..........

Also used to give all the sea reels a good dose of WD40 as well, but not until AFTER I'd washed them off with warm soapy water and rinsed 'em under the cold tap.

You need to be careful about using it on anything with 'O' rings though - it will attack some types of rubber.

Cheers

Barry

Barry

I sometimes spray it in my lure bucket after a session to help prevent the hooks rusting. I'm certain it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the amount of fish I catch.

I don't think it's a good idea to use it on live or dead baits or anything that pike or other animals could end up ingesting. Eating WD40 can't be good.

I've also heard it's not a good idea to spray it inside fishing reels as it increases wear, maybe someone else can confirm or deny this?

Edited by Grandma

My understanding is that WD40 is a waterdispersant and not a lubricant. It is not a good idea to use it inside padlocks or reels etc.

Using it as an attractant has been discussed in previous threads, and I have seen it used on sea fishing baits with some apparent success. I'm not sure if it's the stuff itself, or the fact that it helps disperse the bait scent. Having said that I would be reluctant to use it for coarse fishing.

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

My understanding is that WD40 is a waterdispersant and not a lubricant.

I wonder if the water dispersant has a visual affect on the lures, makes them glow or something. Perhaps only the fish can see this. Does anybody in the fishing industry make any fish/oil based sprays (safe to the environment) to coat lures with? I think it might be more a visual thing rather than a scent trail.

regards, SpenBeck