Tope Byelaw Confirmed

Hi Steve I know that Tope are targetted in a few places, but there aren't any Tope bye laws where they are.

Hi Steve

The first byelaw was the North eastern SFC and was implemented after some great work by SOS member Nigel Proctor. He helped bring in this as there is now an established recreational fishery for tope from Bridlington southwards. They are also in numbers off Whitby at certain times of the year. To suggest that the byelaws are imposed where the tope aren't isn't true.

The byelaws are hopefully a temporary measure until defra have announced the results of the tope consultation.

The tope are caught in huge numbers by the French and Channel Islanders. but I read of two being caught in Wales this week, so perhaps the tope will stay in UK waters for a longer period similar to the Bass.

The consultation was brought in, as defra realised that if the Lowestoft threat failed others would follow. There is no doubt the tope will go the the same way as the spurdog, unless controls are put in place. The spurdog used to be found in packs five miles across, right round Britain and apart from a local pocket in Wales is rarely caught by RSA except in the deep Scottish lochs.

Although listed as endangered in UK waters, the tope are severely endangered in other parts of the world as they they have become targeted for their fins. It is worth remembering that the tope is known as the soupfin shark in other parts of the world.

As the far East gets richer, the demand for shark soup is growing and the number of sharks are decreasing.

Although only my opinion the suggestion that defra would act to pacify RSA after the results of the BMP is ridiculous. The original idea for the tope consultation was as a result of discussions with the Sharktrust which has no direct link to angling. The consultation was purely a conservation issue, which anglers should benefit from. If the conspiracy theory is correct why hasn't defra announced the result of the consultation. I remember your frustration at the delay in the Bass results, we have been waiting over four months now for the tope results.

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve

The first byelaw was the North eastern SFC and was implemented after some great work by SOS member Nigel Proctor. He helped bring in this as there is now an established recreational fishery for tope from Bridlington southwards. They are also in numbers off Whitby at certain times of the year. To suggest that the byelaws are imposed where the tope aren't isn't true.

The byelaws are hopefully a temporary measure until defra have announced the results of the tope consultation.

The tope are caught in huge numbers by the French and Channel Islanders. but I read of two being caught in Wales this week, so perhaps the tope will stay in UK waters for a longer period similar to the Bass.

The consultation was brought in, as defra realised that if the Lowestoft threat failed others would follow. There is no doubt the tope will go the the same way as the spurdog, unless controls are put in place. The spurdog used to be found in packs five miles across, right round Britain and apart from a local pocket in Wales is rarely caught by RSA except in the deep Scottish lochs.

Although listed as endangered in UK waters, the tope are severely endangered in other parts of the world as they they have become targeted for their fins. It is worth remembering that the tope is known as the soupfin shark in other parts of the world.

As the far East gets richer, the demand for shark soup is growing and the number of sharks are decreasing.

Although only my opinion the suggestion that defra would act to pacify RSA after the results of the BMP is ridiculous. The original idea for the tope consultation was as a result of discussions with the Sharktrust which has no direct link to angling. The consultation was purely a conservation issue, which anglers should benefit from. If the conspiracy theory is correct why hasn't defra announced the result of the consultation. I remember your frustration at the delay in the Bass results, we have been waiting over four months now for the tope results.

Hi Ian

You didn't read my post properly. Where Tope are targetted COMMERCIALLY, there aren't any bye laws in place to protect them. Also, I didn't say that DEFRA were trying to pacify anglers. I think they want to be seen to be doing something for sea angling to justify taxing us with a licence fee and hitting us with bag limits, as per the draft sea angling strategy. They Tope thing is a way for them to appear to have "given" something, when in fact they've done nothing of the sort.

Why the Tope result has been delayed is anyones guess. Maybe they're having second thoughts.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi Ian

You didn't read my post properly. Where Tope are targetted COMMERCIALLY, there aren't any bye laws in place to protect them. Also, I didn't say that DEFRA were trying to pacify anglers. I think they want to be seen to be doing something for sea angling to justify taxing us with a licence fee and hitting us with bag limits, as per the draft sea angling strategy. They Tope thing is a way for them to appear to have "given" something, when in fact they've done nothing of the sort.

Why the Tope result has been delayed is anyones guess. Maybe they're having second thoughts.

Hi Steve

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

The reason Defra are giving is, all the available staff are working on the white paper for the marine bill.

The waiting is doing my head in. I was hoping if successful, the proposals would be in place by the time the main tope packs came this year but it doesn't look like its going to happen for this year

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Hi Ian

Hi Steve

quote/ Why the Tope result has been delayed is anyones guess. Maybe they're having second thoughts

DEFRA have stated that the tope consultion has been put on the back boiler because of more important things and lack of funds

steve