How to beat the Crayfish ?

BREAMAGAIN

Good call , but it whips thru a bit smartish , hence nailing it down in the first place ! Maybe a crayfish as bait ?????

Unfortunately using crayfish as bait will result in you catching bigger crayfish - the big uns eat the little uns!

I seem to remember Keith Arthur saying that, to beat the crayfish in the Grand Union, he ties a cat food tin to a piece of rope, punctures the tin in various places, and slings it in far enough from the part of the swim he is fishing to attract the crays away. If your local river is whipping through smartish that probably won't work though..

Catch and eat all the crayfish?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I think Gaffer posted a review several years ago about a boilie-like bait made by Berkley that was really rubbery so that crays could not ruin it but other fish could easily take it. It occurs that maybe cutting those into pieces might give you baits that would survive the attentions of a cray.

I don't remember details but you can probably locate the review.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Trouble with these Crayfish (and I'm sure they're all the same!) is a tough bait they'll just sit on knawing away at it for ages and if you try coming up in the water they seem to have sussed that out as well , twice I've seen them climb on to pads on the surface !!!!!

This particular bait appears to be almost completely resistant to their attentions. Gaffer said that after a few hours on the bottom in high cray population water, the little boilie showed almost no signs of damage whereas every other thing he tried other than a plastic cage was destroyed in a fairly short time.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Try and glug your bait with rosehip this may help.

:thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I've only once fished such a venue so can't give advice backed by any real experience. I did catch crayfish early that trip, but then baited up a different swim with maggots and chopped worm. I returned quite a bit later and immediately caught a big perch. Of course it might already have been there, but if it wasn't I'm sure the crayfish would have made themselves scarce on its arrival!

You could in fact perhaps bait up several swims and fish them in rotation. If crayfish aren't present it could well mean that fish are.

Depending on the species you're after, lures (including plastic worms) might be a good bet. Alternatively something like rubber corn could be a winner.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net