two topics casting and ring whipping.

Guest jay_con

Guest jay_con

Hi stavey,

Thanx for that little bit of advice. Please forgive me for sounding a little dim but can you elaborate on a couple of points please.

What do you mean by "lead outside the rod tip"

What is south african style.

Do you know of a good casting rod that also makes a good fishing rod.

I have a greys appolo which is a great fishing rod for the rocks i fish. I also have a zziples tz500 which im told is a good casting rod, trouble is I think its a crap fishing rod, a tiny bit of wind makes it bounce about there not really much use to me.

many thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TZ500 is primarily a tournament casting rod and needs a good technique to get the most distance from it.

I use one for rough ground fishing and can't say its any more prone to bouncing about in the wind than my Apollo when fished side by side?

Guest jay_con

you having a tin bath?

Its like someone is constantly kicking the butt. The appollo sits perfectly in a gail of wind and never moves an inch.

I feel I could cast the tz easier though.

ok whatsinaname i will try to explane like it as been done in sea angler and most casting books. when you do your otg cast imagine your standing in the centre of a clock face, with your casting direction were you want to cast to, at 12 o'clock and the tip of the rod at 6 o'clock, you may have the tip further around at 7 or 8 o'clock but doesnt matter for now, if we stick to the 6 o'clock version the line and lead from the rod tip is swung back and layed on the ground, the tip of the rod will be on the number 6 and the lead will be outside this= [outside rod tip] how much depends on length of leader, if you swing the lead and drop it on the ground from an inswing the rod tip will still be at the number 6 but the lead will be in between you and the number 6= [inside the rod tip] hopefuly you understand so far. the south african is exactly the same as the otg cast but extended a little further round on the clock face to at least 9 o'clock. as for those rods well, if your learning to cast with those poles i am surprised you have got this far. just remember if you extend the cast round from 6 o'clock to 7 8 9 or as far as you can, turn your hips first then your shoulders, [like a golf swing realy]and always start your cast by turning your head to look to where you want it to go, far and high hopefully. good luck.........stav

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

oh sorry didnt recomend a rod did i well i am a big john holden and paul kerry fan and they seam to like these new daiwa supercasts and i must admit i tried one as well as the zipplex 50/50 and found the daiwa just as good and its much cheaper by far. both are good for 200 yds and nice fishing rods. after casting them poles youve been using these type of rods might feel a little bit givvy but you will be able to bend them more and i bet youl cast further.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

South african style...

I have seen a number of the south africans casting, It cant be more simple, They are daft as brushes, They watch the waves/surf, Do a timed run, wade out knee deep, and then a quik stright over the head hard powerfull thump which seems to send there wieght and whole fishbait out 100 yards, This puts unbalevable prsure on your forearms, and is one style that does require muscles, Whilst there bait/wieght is in mid flight they realise that the 8-10 foot swell/surf is heading directly toward them so they dart back up the beach realy quikly and control the reel at the same time in a comical fasion, Not the kind of casting for me, Well at least this is how they do it on the beach, I have no idea of how the S africans do it on the tourny field...

Tight Lines

Shaun

:mad: otg casting and pendulum casting can be an absulute pig to master but the rewards are worth all the frustration.My advice would be to do what i did,get your technique right and remember to relax and just concentrate on stance and body position the rest will come in time as you get more comfortable with your style.If your hitting 140yrds you must be doing something right just stick at it and don't try to hit the cast to hard the power will grow with your casting style and confidence but well done so far keep at it...The problem your having with cliped down rigs,have you tried gemini srt springs in your rigs to apply tension on your hook snoods and keep the whole thing tightly clipped untill it hits the water :) best of luck

They realy do do that,

One of my m8s is southafrican and stays here and even still he does this basic off the ground overhead thump,

Once i took him to inverbervie beach in a huge sea,

I set up a good 50 yards above the waves, This guy did the thing where he wandered as far down as possible to the water, hit the bait hard an ran back up before the surge came, That threw a few looks from other anglers, he did it behind my back, Needless to say when i turned round and spotted him i went mad and was shouting to get him to come back, If waves like those hit you your a gonner!,

he wont d othat again but still just does the basic overhead thump, Seems to go a long way out aswell

Tight Lines

Shaun