I Need Help

Elton

Hi Elton

Firstly I'd strongly advise you keep an eye on www.webmasterworld.com if you don't - look in the Google forums. If it asks for a username and password then drop me a line and I'll lend you mine so you can potter about. You often find when these things happen that they are globally applied (i.e. several thousand similar sites dropping out at once), and in this case I can probably guess why google have dropped www.go-fishing.co.uk

Without meaning to cause offence (I am stating this as I used to do quite a bit of SEO work), the site has been clearly built for generating revenue - which you'd probably be the first to admit, and on the face of it (initially) has very little unique content in terms of articles. Google (as a search engine) aspires to index useful content, and whilst for a long time go-fishing may have been considered acceptable, frankly it's use or value to the general public would be questionable as an information resource (remember google is looking for information - it owes nothing to businesses - who Google frankly would rather use Adwords anyway).

So, whilst removing dead links is a good housekeeping job anyway, I'd strongly suggest reworking the site a little to make it article based, if necessary asking the members on here to contribute an article or three on something they know about. The article doesn't have to be the work of a genius in terms of keyword density or anything, but basically provide information outside of a list of links/adverts. BTW linking to unique content off site really isn't going to help (i.e. links to anglersnet articles).

As an aside check your backlinks in google (link:www.go-fishing.co.uk) - If you have no incoming links (which google is currently indicating - though it only shows links with a PR of 4+) then perhaps the reason you've been removed is because Google have rebuilt the index and you've fallen prey to being unlinked or linked from a bad neighbourhood (i.e. when building incoming links try not to use link farms). Try not to interlink sites with the same whois information as well or those which reside on the same server ip range since the paranoid (of which I am one) would suggest that this is easily checkable and if you were building systems to target SPAM you would cross reference that information.

Finally my experience of black hat and (over doing white hat) seo is that when a site has had a penalty applied it can take a long time to get it back into shape (sometimes a very long time). If it was me, I'd strongly consider buying a brand new domain name, scavenging what data I can from the existing site (presumably mysql based, so you can dump it into Excel or Access temporarily and import it into whatever structure you choose next), and tidy up go-fishing in the hope that one day it may well come good again.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not being critical about the site, just giving my opinion in terms of what I think Google has seen and what might be wrong!

Ian W

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ian,

I've checked various Google links as suggested and it has definitely been dropped.

It was not built to generate revenue - in fact, I believe it probably existed in its current state before Google even made an appearance. I added a news section a little while ago to try to add more content, but it rarely gets used. I may address the content side of it later, but to be honest, I have some better projects that need my time and don't involve Google.

I've stopped my own advertising on Google in the meantime. hardly going to bankrupt them, but I have my pride :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Cheers - just playing catch-up with Chris Goddard and Ferret's latest ones first :)

Ferret: ref your email - can you please do:

http://go-fishing.co.uk/Carp_Fishing/UK/

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

For anyone who's interested, what I'm doing with each list is double checking them and then deleting/amending as necessary.

n

Even the Knights managed a Ni. All you can manage is n :)

I'll help too Boss, it'll make a change from moderating this set of stroppy buggers for a while ( :bleh:;) ;) ).

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Guest Ferret1959

n.......................Na is was a mistake but couldn't delete it all without postting sumfin.

n was the first key I hit. :D :D

Rabbit, I'm ok thanks matey. :yeah: