Mono or Braid?

keith 405

Braid is much thinner than a similar breaking strain in mono.

For example, 50lb PowerPro is 0.36mm diameter, equivalent to 12 lb mono.

30lb PowerPro is 0.28mm dimeter, equivalent to 8lb mono.

This thinner diameter allows you to use less weight, when boat fishing, therefore lighter rods.

Its advisable to use mono leaders to your hook, this acts as a shock absorber.

As braid doesn,t stretch, you are in direct contact with the fish and feel every movement.

Striking shouldn,t be a violent, "over the head" snatch. I just reel into the fish, that seems to work.

If you buy braid there will be information on the pack, or in a leaflet, regarding the best knots to use etc.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

405,I use "Whiplash" braid on a fixspool reel for beach fishing, and no shockleader and I wouldn't go back to mono, the "rush" from bites is magic if you keep the rod in your hands and you can feel "ANY" fish caught fighting all the way to the beach.I don't use it on my multiplyers as I think it may bed down to tight on the spool for casting, I could be wrong but it's what I think. tight lines, fishy1

Hi

Been using braid on multiplier for boat fishing and it excels, especially in deep water where bite detection on mono was eh not so good! It is more "brittle" so you have to use a mono shockleader, especially on wrecks, reefs and over any foul ground. I put mon on the rteel frist and used this as a bed for the braid and have had no problems. A word of warning - it can slice into flesh like a knife so if you are handling a big fish, use a glove and NEVER wind the trace around your fingers or hand! Using powerpro that Cranfield or Alan Taylor sent me - sorry guys can;t remember which but the advice that came with it was just as valueable. Hats off to either or both of you and I am off fishing on Friday in 40 m and shall have the braid with me.

:D Tried casting with it using a beachcaster and multiplier and hate it... will be reverting to a lighter rod and FS reel for shore fishing.

FWIW...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Kieran - maybe the reel or the settings or something.

I fish more levelwind or baitcasting reels than fixed spool these days and have PowerPro on most of them.

That being said, I have a pair of Abu 7000C3 reels that cast it beautifully. I have a Tidewater of very similar size and design that casts it very poorly. And that is using identical rods.

All the baitcaster reels do nicely with it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hi all

I remember the days when we used to use wire line for boat fishing.It was fine unless you get you fingers in the way or get a kink in it.The main advantages of braid,as I see it, are reduced diameter so less lead and less stretch which can be a two edged sword.

Tight lines

Hiya,

"braid is better than mono what are the difference between the two"

To be honest if you are only fishing in normal conditions ie less than 50’ of water and next to no tide then braid aint much better than mono, it’s only when you go to extreme conditions, then braid comes into it’s own. I’m normally fishing over 300’ of water and with mono bite detection is all but impossible in that sort of depth yet with braid you can feel the slightest knock. For example on Saturday we were fishing in 625’ of water with 8oz of lead and the bite detection was still superb with bites showing like they would in 30’ of water. In 20 min we had 3 Black Mouthed Doggies and 2 LSD’s, not bad when we were targeting Black mouths :)

Spasor.. weather permitting yer Black Mouthed Doggie is sorted :):)

[ 08. September 2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"