Skate Sluggers

Seahog

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have one of those left over from my 1970s shark-fishing days.

Wouldn't dream of using it for skate tho' :rolleyes: It is really a "chair and harness" job for big tuna and billfish (weighs a ton!) and I have replaced it with Penn International and the like.

I see the bidding (including postage of £8.50)has now reached £59-51

Anyone want my 9/0 for 50 squid ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Wouldn't dream of using it for skate tho' rolleyes.gif It is really a "chair and harness" job for big tuna and billfish (weighs a ton!) and I have replaced it with Penn International and the like.

If I was of a physical condition that the difference of weight between a Penn 9/0 and a Penn international reel made such a significant difference. I would be asking myself! … Am I putting myself in danger of an AMI? :huh:

ello Davy ... hope your keeping well :thumbs:

It's one of the reels I had stashed away, but never got round to using, that said I could say that about 50+ other reels.

Is your boat up and running? ...

If I was of a physical condition that the difference of weight between a Penn 9/0 and a Penn international reel made such a significant difference...

Well, I don't know what assumptions you have made about my "physical condition" but you certainly have a few misconceptions about suitable reels for skate!

The weight is only one factor - and for the record a Penn Senator 9/0 weighs over SEVEN pounds, and my Penn International II 50W weighs a fraction under five pounds.

More to the point, the end-plate diameter of the 9/0 is 6", whereas the 50W has end plates of 4.25" Translate that into where the centre of gravity of the heavier reel would be with the reel on top of the rod, and it is obvious why the 50W is suitable for a stand-up fight with a big skate, whereas the 9/0 would be over-large and over-clumsy for a stand-up.

I would only use the 9/0 if I were fishing for something that needed stacks of line (ie big tuna, billfish and shark, where a 600 yd run is not unusual)

Before I bought the International II I did use a Senator for skate - but that was the 6/0 size - the 9/0 is way OTT. The 6/0 is perfectly adequate in that it will bring the fish up, but harder work compared with modern Penns.

Having lugged up a few three-figure skate with both the 6/0 and the 50W I know which I prefer to use!

Interesting that Davy has seen the gears go on Senator 9/0. Was that just the anti-reverse or something more serious Davy?

I had the anti-reverse go on my old Penn Squidder once. As I was fighting an aptly named Samsonfish (West Oz) at the time, playing it with the reel in "knuckle-cracker" mode was, as Mr Spock would say, "interesting"

RNLI Governor

Well, I don't know what assumptions you have made about my "physical condition" but you certainly have a few misconceptions about suitable reels for skate!

Wind yea neck in mate ... and chill out, a little bit less of "mores too the point" and laugh a bit :thumbs: it was tongue in cheek, that’s as longs as yea not bending over

If 2lbs in weight is going to have such a significant out come whilst being prepared to exerted such stamina as is need when Skate fishing … personally I would not chance it … happily that would not be the case with me, I consider the fight of a fish too be the magic of fishing and not a chore .. but each too their own I totally accept.

I would also be quite prepared to carry the extra weight burden, due to the weight of the cash in my ar*e pocket that I had saved in my wallet, especially as unlike Davy who so frequently fishes for Skate, I, like many do not.

If I was a serious Angler of Skate and had the opportunity to fish for them, (and I don’t) … I would consider a reel that the likes of Davy recommend, it’s a balancing act, cost versus practicability, would you not agree?

So that was the tongue in cheek remark … nothing too sinister, and so it should not have been taken as such. :thumbs:

laugh a bit :thumbs:

Yes, I did laugh at the thought of using a 9/0 for skate - a bit like using a 6/0 for mullet :thumbs: thanks for that.

I would also be quite prepared to carry the extra weight burden, due to the weight of the cash that I had saved in my wallet, especially as unlike Davy who so frequently fishes for Skate, I, like many do not

Well in that case, You could hire a rod and a Senator 6/0 for just £5 a day from Ronnie Campbell (or any other decent charter) on the rare occasions you say you go skate fishing.

You talk about enjoying the fight - that enjoyment is enhanced with a well-balanced outfit, which a 9/0 is not.

...and if by sticking my neck out I've discouraged a would-be skate-fisher from buying an unsuitable reel, then so be it. Sorry if I've scuppered somebody's sale :rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

Yes, I did laugh at the thought of using a 9/0 for skate - a bit like using a 6/0 for mullet :thumbs: thanks for that.

Well in that case, You could hire a rod and a Senator 6/0 for just £5 a day from Ronnie Campbell (or any other decent charter) on the rare occasions you say you go skate fishing.

You talk about enjoying the fight - that enjoyment is enhanced with a well-balanced outfit, which a 9/0 is not.

...and if by sticking my neck out I've discouraged a would-be skate-fisher from buying an unsuitable reel, then so be it. Sorry if I've scuppered somebody's sale :rolleyes:

I have both the 6/0 and 9/0 and have owned them for many years and have great enjoyment using them for fishing without any mishaps or breakages. When they was new they was the bussiness, I do not feel guilty or embarrassed using them and do not see any great emotive issue regarding the same. The 9/0 will last a lifetime and i do not see the point in changing it for a more modern reel if it ain't broke. My get off is that i will pull up a hundred pound conger with it, safe in the knowledge that the reel won't let me down. The 6/0 won't last as i have had years and years of constant use, at some stage i will regretfully retire it. I have seen guys on the boat struggle unsuccessfuly using 3lb lead in a massively strong tide trying to bring up good size blonde ray's with smaller reels, i don't struggle nor do i want to. Although i have a collection of approximatly twenty reels when i have the opportunity to use these two reels over the wrecks that is when i have the biggest smile on me face. Cheers. :thumbs:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I have both the 6/0 and 9/0 and have owned them for many years and have great enjoyment using them for fishing without any mishaps or breakages. When they was new they was the bussiness, I do not feel guilty or embarrassed using them and do not see any great emotive issue regarding the same. The 9/0 will last a lifetime and i do not see the point in changing it for a more modern reel if it ain't broke. My get off is that i will pull up a hundred pound conger with it, safe in the knowledge that the reel won't let me down. The 6/0 won't last as i have had years and years of constant use, at some stage i will regretfully retire it. I have seen guys on the boat struggle unsuccessfuly using 3lb lead in a massively strong tide trying to bring up good size blonde ray's with smaller reels, i don't struggle nor do i want to. Although i have a collection of approximatly twenty reels when i have the opportunity to use these two reels over the wrecks that is when i have the biggest smile on me face. Cheers. :thumbs:

:clap2: Like you I have an "armoury" of reels, one for every job, from President baitcaster and TLD 5's to Penn 50W and Albacore 30/2speed, I also have a Penn 349HC, long since discontinued but it was a great reel for wire line. I've found that now braid is here the huge reels are no longer needed for general fishing but they are a bonus for big game fishing. 1,000 yards of 50lb braid on a 30 class reel, or 800yards of 20lb braid on an Accurate 870, it's a great advantage to our sport to be able to use smaller, lighter reels, with rods built to match. If you want to use nylon, for whatever reason, the big 9/0's and 12/0's will still have a use as they are required to hold the amount of heavy line needed for deep water or big game fishing but they realistically no longer have a place in sport fishing as we now know it. Modern braids have altered fishing as we once knew it, nylon is dead,(except for leaders and snoods) long live braid. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B