Labyrinthitis-viral infection of the inner ear

Snatcher

I had it some years ago and it is very scary when you go to get out of bed & find you can't stand!! On occaisons I still get the odd moment. My ENT consultant explained the reason behind it is due to crystalised particles break free and touch the hairs in the inner ear causing the loss of balance. It can last for months, mine did although it was a lot better after a week on the tablets I was given. Hope yours get better soon.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to get out of bed at about 04.30 this morning as the room was spinning. Funnily enough the condition seems to worsen when I lie down. Basically my only two safe positions at the moment are standing up looking straight ahead and sitting down in an upright position.

If I tilt my head to the side or look up I lose my balance completely.It does really limit what you can do :( I would not wish this on anyone!!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Well now Snatcher, I hope you get over this pretty quickly, not a very nice thing by all accounts.

On a lighter note I'm just going to email you a picture of a suitable position to get into that WILL cure your loss of balance :lol:

Edited by Manxman

All aquiver now John :mellow:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Cheers John - feeling dizzy again after seeing that :headhurt:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Had to get out of bed at about 04.30 this morning as the room was spinning. Funnily enough the condition seems to worsen when I lie down. Basically my only two safe positions at the moment are standing up looking straight ahead and sitting down in an upright position.

If I tilt my head to the side or look up I lose my balance completely.It does really limit what you can do :( I would not wish this on anyone!!

You have to try & lay down, get up and even turn over in slow motion trying to keep your head still

I know how you feel, I hope you feel better soon.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Just been given a 7 day sicknote from my doc this morning and had my medication changed to Cinnarizine 15mg tablets. No improvement as yet.

My doctor also spelt Labrynthitis as Vertigo ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Is there any difference between the two and/or is it all guess work :headhurt::unsure:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Labyrinths - any "itis" simply means 'inflammation of' and Labyrinth is used to describe the inner ear due to it's maze-like structure so the word is a fancy way of saying you have an inner ear inflammation.

Vertigo basically describes the symptoms you have but leaves the cause as a mystery.

It sounds a bit like your doctor went from saying that something in your inner ear was causing you to be dizzy to saying that you are dizzy. Good job you aren't having to pay much for this insightful diagnosis.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Gday Snatcher, my diagnosis was the same as yours.the following is a set of excersises that may help. got to admit they did nowt for me but i tried.

snatcher004.jpg

snatcher005.jpg

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/