Labyrinthitis-viral infection of the inner ear

Snatcher

Was diagnosed it by my doctor yesterday morning.Symtoms are sudden loss of balance and nausea.He gave me a 14 day course of Cyclizine 50mg tablets to help clear it up.

Cannot sleep so decided to get ready and have a bit surf downstairs.Fell over twice getting ready - very scary stuff!!!!

That means no working and no driving till I fully recover. At least I am on full pay :thumbs: On the down side tomorrow night is the annual free bash for long serving employees. It is called the 25 year annual dinner.Its free grub and a free bar at Linden Hall,a very posh hotel in rural Northumberland. The company also lay on transport for it. I am now going to miss it :cry::cry:

Never mind there is always next year.

Oh dear starting to drivel on a bit!! The question to those of you who have suffered from it is how long was your recovery time?

Before you say anything Nursejudy I am totally off the booze till I recover - ever scarier stuff and unknown territory :headhurt:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spent 9 days in hospital with it.Not pleaseant is it. The first day and night was just a bit of a blur between spinning round and throwing up. Causes vertigo. could walk about by using a walking frame. probably 6 days before i could do without. Dont do any sudden turns as you will feel as if your head wants to keep going round.

The doc put me on Serc tablets and Stemzine for the nausea. Still get a touch of nausea but walking and driving OK. Been out of hospital for two and half weeks now.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Our lass had a bout of it about two years ago. With her it lasted about a week or so and she reckoned that it was one of the most frightening illnesses that she has ever had especially when it first struck and she did not know what it was. Which considering that she recovered from bowel cancer a few years earlier is saying something.

Luckily our local doctors are quite good and the one who called explained everything to her which at least allayed her fears about the seriousness of the illness. The only good thing about it is that despite how sick it makes you feel it is not regarded as being life threatening it just feels as though it is and worse. So anybody who gets it has my deepest sympathy.

Was diagnosed it by my doctor yesterday morning.Symtoms are sudden loss of balance and nausea.He gave me a 14 day course of Cyclizine 50mg tablets to help clear it up.

Take heart, it is temporary. I had a bout of it fifteen years back. Thought it was food poisoning at first, but soon realised it wasn't - The doc gave me some sort of anti-nauseant injection, after which I had the same treatment as you are getting.

....decided to get ready and have a bit surf downstairs.Fell over twice getting ready - very scary stuff!!!!

Yes - it happened to me 36 hours before we were due to fly to Australia. I could not walk around, so Norma came home from work to find me crawling on hands and knees about the house packing my fishing gear !

With assistance I managed to make it to the plane, where the Quantas steward nodded wisely and obviously assumed I was drunk ! He was too polite to say so though.

Interestingly enough, as soon as the plane made height, my symptoms disappeared (something to do with the reduced pressure I suppose) only to return when the plane landed at Brisbane. We were to stay five weeks exploring south of Brisbane down to Wilson's Promontory in Victoria. Norma had to do all the driving for the first ten days, by which time I had recovered.

So you will, I hope, be laughing about it in a fortnight's time.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

So your off the booze Snatcher; the profits at the Rockliffe will be taking a hit. Take care and get well soon

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Hi Snatcher.

I had it 30 odd years ago, when I was still single. I had been feeling crap all day at work. I put it down to the 'skin full' I'd had the night before. When I got home from work, I couldn't eat and just sat down. My mother was sewing and asked me to thread a needle for her. I tried but although my eyesight was OK, my coordination had gone. I stood up and fell back down again! My brother took me to the GP,(no appointments in those days, just turn up and wait), he gave me antibiotics, told me not to operate machinery (I couldn't even operate my legs, never mind machinery :blink:). It cleared enough for me to walk around in a couple of days. But I still got a 'head rush' if I moved too quickly, for about another 5-6 days. It's the worst I've ever felt, without having actual pain.

You've got my sympathy mate, I hope it clears up soon.

P.S. When you can have a drink again, take it steady mate, it'll work a lot faster on you than normal.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Not as bad as yours Snatcher, but i did have something in my inner ear last week, when i sat up in bed, i went so dizzy i just dropped back to the mattress, my son said i dropped so quick, he thought he'd scared me or something. Lasted a couple of days, cleared up with just some sinus spray. Hope you get better soon.

Edited by ziggy searchfield

The question to those of you who have suffered from it is how long was your recovery time?

You have my sympathy Snatcher. I woke up with it one morning about 10 years or so ago. Wondered what the hell was happening as the room just spun round and round, Couldn't move my head from side to side and felt very sick. Had to get back from my father-in-law's in Wimborne - not a pleasant car journey! I went to the doctor the following day and he gave me tablets and it cleared up in about a week or so..

Edited by Peggy Burke

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

You have my sympathy Snatcher. I woke up with it one morning about 10 years or so ago. Wondered what the hell was happening as the room just spun round and round, Couldn't move my head from side to side and felt very sick. Had to get back from my father-in-law's in Wimborne - not a pleasant car journey! I went to the doctor the following day and he gave me tablets and it cleared up in about a week or so..

Did not think it was very common as had not heard of it before.Just goes to show!!!! Thanks for all the replies and yes it is not very pleasant :headhurt:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

A bit of an understatement, Peggy. I've never known you so ill!

Here's to a speedy recovery, Snatcher.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net