Labyrinthitis-viral infection of the inner ear

Snatcher

Third day on the antibiotics and found no difference as yet. Just sneezed a few minutes ago as I was reading a fishing thread. Had to hold onto the chair very tightly for about 30 secs as my balance went totally after it.

It is the most frightening thing I have experieced without pain!!!!!!!! Have been known to be a bit of a boyo in my youth.Been in many a "tight situation" :boxing::black_eye::boxing: and my bottle never went.

Have totally bottled it with this viral infection. I could not wish it onto anyone :(

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope it clears up quickly John and your back to yer old ways soon :)

Edited by blindog

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

What is even more frightening Lenny is that I am on the waggon till it clears up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had to miss a free dinner and free bar tonight because of it :cry::cry::cry::cry: Housebound as well . I am not a happy chappy.Will be forced to miss my darts match tomorrow :schmoll:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

If you're on antibiotics, it sounds like a bacterial infection. I lost 60% of there hearing in my right ear due to this sort of thing and an incompetent GP and spent best part of three years with regular bouts of throwing up and falling over.

Don't mess about, if the problem persists in any way, insist on an expert opinion.

Despite being prescribed all the usual broad spectrum antibiotics, my ear problems kept on recurring until I was prescribed antibiotics (Oflaxicin) for something completely different in Singapore. That finally knocked the infection on the head and I've had no significant problems since.

OK, I was prescribed it for severe diorheoa (does anyone spell that correctly ?) that put me in hospital after a trip to India. As I was fully healthy by the time I got to Bangkok and was going on to Cambodia (where further gut problems were likely) I thought I'd get some more of the antibiotic. I walked into a local pharmacy and asked if they had any and was told yes, had I got Gonorrheoa ? (Errm. No) Had I got Syphillis ? (Errm. No) Clamydia ??.......

By this time, there were a dozen or so other people in the shop, I was shall we say, a tad embassassed. It turns out that not only was the antibiotic I was asking for a common treatment for the clap, I was actually standing in the pharmacists that was right next door to the clap clinic - as became obvious when I actually stopped and looked at the goods on sale.... Some of which had no place in your local branch of Boots.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi Snatch

I had it about 3 years ago,like some of the others it lasted about 10 days and It was the nastiest feeling in the world. Found the best and safest thing for me was to stay in bed. got up in the morning and hit the wardrobe, 2 walls and the bathroom door before I realised being up wasnt a good idea to be out of bed. Left with no problems afterwards .

Hope yopu feel better soon

Edited by Orca
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

There's another condition causing similar symptoms called Benign Positional Vertigo - http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic411.htm

Your description of the vertigo worsening after your sneeze (which moved your head position) sound more like this than labyrinthitis. I expect that your doc has already excluded this with the Dix-Hallpike manoeuvre (see the web article for a explanation)?

What is even more frightening Lenny is that I am on the waggon till it clears up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had to miss a free dinner and free bar tonight because of it :cry::cry::cry::cry: Housebound as well . I am not a happy chappy.Will be forced to miss my darts match tomorrow :schmoll:

Nowt worse M8 free boose and you not fit :headhurt:

Make up for it at LA at Easter :drunk::drunk:

Take care M8

Lenny

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

Cheers Linda and Lenny :thumbs: Interesting reading DavyR. Breaking news,a short while ago bent down to adjust the gas fire and finished up in a heap on the floor. It is just a spontaneous loss of balance and fairly frightening when it happens.

Although the doc gave me a 2 week course of antibiotics if there is no improvement by Monday thats me knocking on his door again :headhurt:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Update - Its getting worse not better :( had to get out of bed as room was spinning,hence the early appearance on the forum.Sitting bolt upright is the only really "safe" position for me at the moment.

Sick as a chip. Best get young Snatcher to drive me to the doctors again cos the tablets are doing nowt :headhurt:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Update - Its getting worse not better :( had to get out of bed as room was spinning,hence the early appearance on the forum.Sitting bolt upright is the only really "safe" position for me at the moment.

Sick as a chip. Best get young Snatcher to drive me to the doctors again cos the tablets are doing nowt :headhurt:

I know what you're going through mate.When i was in hospital i used to sit in the armchair and read, concentrating on the words helped.

A neighbour of mine has a been hit with it again and she says sometimes the only way she can cope with it is to sit still and just stare at an object in the room. She says she once did this for 4 hours.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/