Severn Fishing Tackle

Arcturus

Hi,

I hope someone can give me a bit of advice. I wish to fish the river Severn around the Bridgnorth area and I am a bit overwhelmed at the different types of fishing rods that are available. Would I need a heavy feeder rod or a barbel rod? Any suggestions on what type / make of rod is suitable for these waters?

Thanks

Hi,

I hope someone can give me a bit of advice. I wish to fish the river Severn around the Bridgnorth area and I am a bit overwhelmed at the different types of fishing rods that are available. Would I need a heavy feeder rod or a barbel rod? Any suggestions on what type / make of rod is suitable for these waters?

Thanks

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Hi,

Thanks

I'm assuming you are wanting to fish for barbel? Either of the types you mention will do but i prefer to use barbel rods, 1.75 lb test curve and 10lb mainline.

If you are wanting to float fish though(for smaller fish)these rods are not really suitable,you would be better of with a fast action match rod.

As for the make of rod, that is a tougher one to answer,everyone has their own preference, i have a korum neoteric barbel rod and a matt hayes barbel rod(by TF gear) and find them both to be very good rods but you could ask 10 different anglers and get 10 different answers.

I gather from your post it is Barbel you are after. Depending on what you have to spend go for a Barbel rod with a 1.75 tc preferably with a quiver top tooa as this will cover most situations. Something like the Shimano Hyperloop Power or Xt version are decent budget rods. You can pick the Power up for around £50 and little more for the xt version, this has an extra quiver top so it has 3 tops in all. If money is no object then look for something with an Harrison blank (fantastic blanks). My rods were custom built, take a look here http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/shop/system/index.htm

Paul

I would fish it with a Avon type rod using 6lb line.

Noooooooooo..........

Minimum 8lb line on the Severn, especially around Bridgnorth. In the summer theres a load of weed and come the winter all the loose trailing line attached to lost feeders can be a right pain (thats probably from folks using 6lb line!).

Personally I use a Fox Barbel Plus 1.75lb test, 10lb ESP mainline with 8lb mono hooklinks.

wolf.gif

All my Barbel fishing is done with a minimum of 10lb line and a majority of the time it is 12lb Excel. Hook length's vary from 10 and 12lb flouro and 12 and 15lb braid. I started using 12lb line for the Teme, as it really is needed especially in the summer.

Paul

For someone new to Barbel fishing on a stretch of the Severn which is snaggy, i'd go along with 10lb mono & 1.75 tc.

I never use anything over 5lb, but then i do love some sport.

I was even fortunate enough to land a 9lb barbel on a 1.1 bottom on the float during a winter session above Ironbridge - took me a while to land, but by golly did it feel good when she slipped into the net ;)

Edited by Judley

Those big barbel are a pain when you`re roach fishing eh!

One thing though, you`ll get as much fun out of 8 or 10lb line as you will out of 5. The bedrock around Ironbridge can be harsh, I`ve had 10lb line shredded plenty of times there and have been lucky to land the fish.

5lb line doesn`t give much sport to the barbel as it runs the fight and when it wins the struggle its prize is another hook stuck in its mouth and even a length of trailing line.

I`m not being the barbel police or anything, just suggesting that heavier line is fairer to the fish. I remove plenty of other anglers hooks from Severn barbel each year, all small hooks and if theres line attached, undergunned.

wolf.gif