Arlesey Bomb

Horrocks

Not long before he died, Alan Brown of Hitchin was interviewed by John Mason on my behalf and part of the interview dealt with the Arlesey bomb the begiining of which Alan took a major part. The interview was to gain some material for a book I am compiling on Dick Walker so I am reluctant to give any of the details of what Alan told us at this stage. But the part about the Arlesey is quite interesting.

In my copy of "EARL OF LONSDALE AND ERIC PARKER Fine Angling For Coarse Fish (The Lonsdale Library Volume IV) 1930 first edition"

on pag 124 it quite clearly shows a pearshaped pasteroster lead with a swivel. the rig is set up for live baiting for perch, this is to all intents is an arsley bomb. so 1930 is the earliest refrence I have in a book, but I am sure its much earlier.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the current owner owner of Arlesey Lake and would be happy to help in anyway I can. We have been there 25 years and have photos of the lake from the time when it was still a clay pit with brick making facilities. I can be contacted at

penny.beatham@btconnect.co.uk

I am not familiar with using forums etc with little interest in doing so but would be happy to put you in contact with our baliff who would know a great deal more than we are able to!

In my copy of "EARL OF LONSDALE AND ERIC PARKER Fine Angling For Coarse Fish (The Lonsdale Library Volume IV) 1930 first edition" on pag 124 it quite clearly shows a pearshaped pasteroster lead with a swivel.........this is to all intents is an Arlesey bomb.

True, (I also have that book) although Walker's Arlesey bomb was intended for use as a running leger rather than as a paternoster - hence it was important that there was no twisting between main line and trace.

BTW that chapter on Perch is by Edward Ensom ("Faddist") - better known for his very informative writings on roach.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The very first Arlesey bomb as such, didn't have a swivel, but a wire loop. The swivel was an improvement soon after the first experiments he made in the manufacture of the bomb. Dick actually had perch to 4lbs 12ozs when using the bomb, and I think that he caught that one just a few hours after Bob Rutland had caught one of 4lbs 10ozs. There were some very good fish in Arlesey lake in those days, but they were far from easy to catch. I spent far too many many hours trying there in the late '50s and early '60s and apart from eels, I caught nothing to be really proud of.

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.