Squid Jigs

John E Ashford

Squid Jigs

Does any one use them, off the British Isles, if so where ?

Posted Image

As most of us use Calamari Squid for bait + Artificial Squid, Muppets, would it be worth trying or is the Squid not to be caught in our waters.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

Hi there,

They are used fairly effectively to catch cuttlefish, around August and September. Squid are caught in November, December. The best places tend to be from a well lit pier. Sometimes the squid are there in such numbers that 'normal' fishing is very difficult due to the bait robbers. Cuttlefish occur along the Dorset coast, see Hugh Fernley Whittingstall, so it is probably worth a go from any pier in the South West at least.

Most of the locals prefer to buy the squid that they use for bait and eat the fresh one as calamari.

In the past I have caught lots of squid with them off Lulworth Cove, when fishing out of Weymouth.

I don't know if the squid's appearance is cyclic,although its obviously only in the warmer months.

We discovered them when gilling for pollack, they were grabbing at the redgills.

We put on the squid jigs and had some for the table and the freezer.

[ 19. August 2004, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Cranfield ]

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

We are off to Weymouth, in October, Charter boat fishing. I'll take one along and ask the skipper if it will be worth trying. If there into the lbs it'll be well worth the effort.

I think some time ago I saw a programme where on the Portland they have a special way of cooking them and have a local name for it!

Anyone know anything about this? Where's Mr Roper, I bet he'll know.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

If you go for squid or cuttlefish, remember their defence mechanism - jets of black ink! We had one in the boat a few weeks ago (I think it was trying to mate with a squid bait rigged pennel style) and it fired off a few rounds of black stuff before we took pity on it and lobbed it over the side. The cockpit was a right mess! I checked out the River Cottage Cokbook later on to see what H F-W would have done, and after seeing pictures of his post-cuttlefish bathroom I don't regret saying goodbye to our little tentacled guest.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

That is how to tell if they are catching them off the pier. Big black stains on the pier, the cuttlefish are about.

A drop net is a good idea from the pier as they have a nasty habit of dropping off leaving you with just some shredded tentacle hanging off your jig

The best thing to do on a boat is bung it in a bucket and put the lid on.

Cuttlefish have a razor sharp bill and a big one can clamp onto your hand with its tentacles and deliver a nasty bite if you let it.