Alarms and indicators?!

Ducktape Corkfeet

I'm still using an old Optonic I bought 2nd hand about 15 years or so ago and it is still working well despite being pulled in the water whilst on a small free standing tripod, I had to strip it down on the bank to dry it out (a good reason to always carry a pouch of small screwdrivers) since its dunking it does sound a bit like a duck with croup, other than that its still OK. Since then I've always attached a lanyard to the tripod.

Anderoo,

:D You say you have had yours 4 years and they are still on the same battery......Not had many runs then? :rolleyes:

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Allthough the Fox alarms (unlike a lot off other items they sell) are good they do have one draw back for the type of fishing you describe.Unless used with a heavy bobbin/indicator the line tends to skip over the wheel not activating it correctly.Neve had this problem with the old Optonics.

As for indicators you really dont want to use swinger type indicators for bream perch or eels.Basicly there isnt enough movement in a swinger for these species,well not if you use traditional "non bolt rigs" for them. Only "illumination" I have in my light weight bobbins is an isotope/betalight.I like my bobbins to be as light as possible as I can always add weight if required to the retaining cord.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've with Tincatinca here in recommending the Good Fishing alarms. In fact longstanding members will be fed up with me recommending them all the time! These British-made alarms are very reliable and exceptionally well-priced as you buy them direct from the manufacturer. I like the GFs which has dual sensitivity, variable tone, variable volume and takes extension boxes. In fact the spec is almost identical to the Fox Micron MX, but it's less expensive. Good Fishing's website is at http://www.goodfishing.i12.com/

Like Budgie, I've found that some designs of alarm suffer from skidding. This is particularly marked on rods with smallish rings, like Avons. It doesn't happen with Good Fishing models when set up properly.

Again I agree with Budgie about avoiding swingers for bream. This is because bream often give line bites which pull off a lot of line. With a swinger this may well mean that the line is pulled from the clip. To differentiate between liners and proper bites a bobbin on a long drop is much better. Mine incorporate a betalight and are attached to the bankstick by a length of stiff line such as fluorocarbon. I weight the fluorocarbon with split shot according to the amount of undertow. Some anglers don't like bobbins in windy weather but the solution is to rest one or more of the shot on the ground to keep the bobbin still.

For perch I'm happy to use bobbins when the fish aren't going to make long runs. When they are, and also when piking, I prefer a drop-off indicator, my favourite being the Fox Pike Swinger. I'd also advise when predator fishing to use a rigid arm indicator with an adjustable sliding weight. This is easier to set up and shows dropbacks immediately, thus reducing the possibility of deep-hooking.

In fact, in my carping days I often preferred to use my Fox Pike Swingers clipped to the rear rod rests. There's no reason though why you couldn't use them clipped to the front rest if you prefer.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net