Maiden Voayage

scotsgun

So as promised i took me very first trip in a Yak this afternoon. It got off to a shaky start with the wife giving me ear ache and being forced to take her and my daughter along in the old bus. I'm sure she just wanted to see me flounder around in the sea.

truck.jpg

Danno popped along to view the spectacle and offer his advice, etc....cheers mate. I appreciated it.

I must admit that i was nervous before setting off but the weather was on my side.

paddle2.jpg

paddle1.jpg

I intentionally threw myself off a few times and was unintentionally tossed off when the wake from a passing ship got me.

Things i learned today:

The yak may look big out of the water but is bloody tiny once afloat.

Yaks fill up with water if overturned.

Lash bloody everything down.

Try to spread your weight when attempting to get back in the yak - it'll tip back over otherwise.

If you rotate the paddle 180 degrees,you can paddle backwards (took me an hour to discover that one :wallbash: )

The Thames tastes awful :yucky:

So, i learned a few things, gained a little bit of confidence and now realise that there's alot more to learn. The wife got a laugh and Greenpeace didn't turn up to save the beached whale..........result :thumbs:

Good on yer Scotsgun, you're braver than most of us here who are are still hiding behind our keyboards even though the Daffs are comprehensively out and Spring is 2 weeks early or more. (Mind you, some of us manage to find themselves on the wrong side of the keyboard for pretty much 12 months a year..... :rolleyes: )

Martin's advice is 110%,: if you get yourself some a couple ratchet straps it will make life a lot easier transporting The Yak about and it's best to transport the yaks upside down to avoid the possibility of distortion of the hull in warmer weather.

Here is a link showing the straps at Bournemouth Canoes but Brighton Canoes have the same as they are part of the same concern, you can get some at Halfords too but I found 5M way too long and the straps less flexible.

http://www.bournemouthcanoes.co.uk/product...-roof-racks.htm

Well done and enjoy.....you will..

ATB

Moonyaker

Edited by Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

I prefer these type. you can double them over and wrap them under each other if too long. can get a descent pair on ebay with a buckle cover for around a tenner. I always think theres too much temptation to overtighten the ratchet type but its a spin of the coin :thumbs:

Ok Prowler 13

Glad to see you had a paddle , hope you enjoyed it. Was gonna launch off Holland on Sea today but winds blowing a bit hard at times and its fairly exposed , plus marks about 1/2 mile off, tried e-mailing you but I've got a problem my end, will keep you informed on whats going on , see you next time.

Try this link the price is right and I have a pair and they are great, as already said beware of overtightening.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-RATCHET-STRAPS-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

I got some of the grey dense foam pipe lagging from B&Q, with the split down the side it slips easily over roof bars and with 3 or 4 cable ties it holds firm, this then give you something to compress and gain traction without risk of damaging the yak.

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

Try this link the price is right and I have a pair and they are great, as already said beware of overtightening.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-RATCHET-STRAPS-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

I got some of the grey dense foam pipe lagging from B&Q, with the split down the side it slips easily over roof bars and with 3 or 4 cable ties it holds firm, this then give you something to compress and gain traction without risk of damaging the yak.

I think most manufacturers would recommend that you don't use ratchet straps - All our brands (Ocean Kayak, Old Town & Necky) certainly would not.

There shouldn't be any need to tighten the straps beyond enough to stop them vibrating in the wind - the secret is to use the shape of the boat to prevent itself shifting forward or back...that is so that the widest point is behind the forward one & in front of the rear. Where this isn't possible e.g. on a roof where there is not enough room to get much distance between the bars (my old A6 saloon was a case in point) it's best to add a tie down rope at the front & back down to the tow point or bumper. Always where possible try to start & finish the strap inside the width of the boat..this also helps prevent slippage.

Sorry if that's a bit garbled - I'll happily explain further if anyone wants to call the office - it's not infallible but I've probably driver about 500k miles with boats, windsurfers, kayaks & canoes on the roof & the only time I've ever lost one (& it was two!) was when the factory fitted longitudinal bar ripped out of the roof of a three month old Chrysler Voyager...fantastic laxative for the guy behind!!

Regards

Andrew

(Johnson Outdoors UK)