Closed season, what's the point?

Guest Ferret1959

Tim, it seems that you are the one that wants 'easy' fishing. It's too weedy, it's too cold, the fish aren't cooperative. I suggest that you go to your nearest commercial, if that's what you want from your angling.

IMO, the size of the catch is not the only, prerequisite to a good days fishing. You can call me a sentimental, traditional, old fashioned old fart, but I do believe that some of the 'magic' has been lost from angling over the years. Mainly due to the, 'how many' and 'how big' mind set of the 'modern' angler. Promoted by the 'instant gratification' culture that is now so prevalent, and of course, by the financial incentives that are a big part of the angling 'business'.

I find it strange that this argument crops up every year, but never seems to include the trout close season. Is this because trout are 'special'? Or is it because trout anglers are all traditional old farts like me, and want to keep some of that 'magic' alive in this day and age?

I like the 16th, not because the fishing is easier, but because the bankside vegetation has grown back, last years swims are different, new swims have been created, and some old swims lost. You have to get to 'know' the river again. As I said if I wanted easy fishing, with mown grass, fishing platforms, the luxury of being able to drive to my swim, and even pizza delivery to my peg, then I would fish at the many places where these things are available. But it's not my idea of angling. I leave it to those that want 'easy' fishing.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
Or is it because trout anglers are all traditional old farts like me, and want to keep some of that 'magic' alive in this day and age?

Yeah probably :rolleyes:

We had plenty of fishable Winter weekends up here in the N/E Rabbit, but then maybe the sun shines on the righteous eh :thumbs:

Rather an odd choice of words to call the close season argument an 'ugly' one Peter, but I do take your point about other water users causing damage, especially canoes in the upper reaches they definitely should be banned from spawning areas in the early part of the year. Not sure the 'if they can do it I want to do it' argument is valid though.

Some interesting views showing up about how lightly fished the rivers are. I can only talk from my own experience & quite honestly, on my local rivers, there are times you can only get on the good swims midweek! In fact on my favourite river the Swale, the good stretches are beginning to resemble the banks of Carp lakes with multirod setups, rod pods, boilies etc.

Tim, that lake of yours sounds great in Summer, a real challenge. Stop seeing it as a problem, view it as an opportunity, with so much weed about those fish will be fat & healthy & with a little bit of effort mate you could end up with some seriously satisfying prizes in the net....go get 'em!

By the way Tim, I hope you weren't dissing my hero Mr Crabtree :schmoll:

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

John, it's not so much wanting it easy as wanting it possible! If a lake is unfishable all summer as it looks like a mown field and the fish are dour most of the winter the period in spring would be an ideal time to fish for them.

Trout angler probably traditionally aren't bothered about trout in the winter because they're out shooting in the winter and fishing is a summer hobby. But for the "neuvaux" trouties they can happily fish year round at the miriad ponds scattered all over the country. Coarse commercial fisheries have no interest to me as they only seem to cater for those wishing to catch either monster jelly belly carp or hundreds of hungry little carp, Oh and they also have carp in them. How thrilling?

Tim

Coarse commercial fisheries have no interest to me as they only seem to cater for those wishing to catch either monster jelly belly carp or hundreds of hungry little carp, Oh and they also have carp in them. How thrilling?

Well Tim, it seems like we have at least one thing we can agree about. :thumbs::)

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

The closed season is a complete waste of time. Mainly designed to keep me off the water at probably the best time of year! :nono:

Since it has been abolished on stillwaters (except any stillwaters owned by any club I've ever belonged to) and canals I really doubt it has had any adverse effect on the fish. It might even have helped as they still get fed pounds of maggots and groundbait when people are actually fishing!

The river closed season is only in place for a few wooden rodded Chris Yates accolites to keep the "magic" of the 16th alive like when they were kids. Grow up. Hardly anyone fishes the rivers anyway!

I tend to agree with you....hardly anyone fishes the rivers around my way, most people are more insterested in catching carp at commercials.

Getting rid of the closed season was the worst thing to happen to angling in my lifetime, and if it's lost on rivers too it will be a very sad day. Fishing should be about a relationship with nature, and the closed season was/is the time to put the gear away for a few weeks, reflect on the season past and look forward to the new one. It does give the fish a rest and, more importantly, gives the bankside some important growing time. Perhaps it's also a good time to catch up on jobs around the house and spend some extra time with friends and family? It's also the best time for being by the rivers and lakes just observing, getting in tune with your waters, and to go discovering new ones without the pressure to cast a line.

In my opinion lakes need the break at least as much (and probably more so) than the rivers. Lakes are now fished intensively 24/7. As someone else said, if the fish in them need anglers' bait to survive, it's overstocked. Another huge problem simmering away... outwitting a wild fish is one thing, repeatedly hooking a fish which HAS to eat bait to survive is another.

The direction angling is taking mirrors the greedy, selfish society we now live in and I don't think it's asking too much to try to keep angling a respite from this. Isn't that the point?

The 16th June should be the most important and exciting date in the year. If it's not, there's something very wrong.

No apologies for rant-iness. :blink:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Careful mate, your in danger of becoming a sentimental old fart, with a Chris Yates complex..........Just like me. :rolleyes::clap2:

John.

Careful mate, your in danger of becoming a sentimental old fart, with a Chris Yates complex..........Just like me. :rolleyes::clap2:

John.

Good! :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music