THIS YEARS CODSPAWN

clem

It is a well known fact that the survival rate for a sucessful fry hatch is heavily dependent on temperature , so with the sea temp up on previous years is it not a worry that this years survival rate could be very poor. That coupled with the huge amount of hungry whiting about could result in disaster. This would be the last thing we need as the stock seems to show the ever-so slightest signs of a recovery. I do not know if anyone on this site shares my concerns but I will be happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by clem

It is a well known fact that the survival rate for a sucessful fry hatch is heavily dependent on temperature , so with the sea temp up on previous years is it not a worry that this years survival rate could be very poor. That coupled with the huge amount of hungry whiting about could result in disaster. This would be the last thing we need as the stock seems to show the ever-so slightest signs of a recovery. I do not know if anyone on this site shares my concerns but I will be happy to be proved wrong.

Whiting is not a problem Wurzel has said previously that the french are targeting them this year. The sw has seen a record amount of cod already this year and the water is warmer down there apparently, compared to the north sea.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Whiting is not a problem Wurzel has said previously that the french are targeting them this year. The sw has seen a record amount of cod already this year and the water is warmer down apparently, compared to the north sea.

I just do not know where the whiting are coming from , they are been hammered on every front but still they come in ever increasing numbers AND size -well up here in the NE anyway.

Thing is Barry about the SW cod I do not think they actually spawn down there they just travel there.

I remember reading that past very good year classes have coincided with exceptionally cold winters and also the survival rate is heavily relient on temp.(Look at the cod in the far north were its freezing) they do have more of them and in the channel , southern northsea as a general rule there are far fewer.

Wish I had time to find all the evidence I just hope that the vast beuracratic quangos that exist in this country are on the case and we do not end up with a missing , unprotected year class .

I just do not know where the whiting are coming from , they are been hammered on every front but still they come in ever increasing numbers AND size -well up here in the NE anyway.

Thing is Barry about the SW cod I do not think they actually spawn down there they just travel there.

I remember reading that past very good year classes have coincided with exceptionally cold winters and also the survival rate is heavily relient on temp.(Look at the cod in the far north were its freezing) they do have more of them and in the channel , southern northsea as a general rule there are far fewer.

Wish I had time to find all the evidence I just hope that the vast beuracratic quangos that exist in this country are on the case and we do not end up with a missing , unprotected year class .

It is a mystery. All i know is that each winter there is a run of cod down the channel, least i think it's down. Leon's link is showing the whiting with empty stomach's within the north sea on the soft ground. On the hard ground they appear to do less well. It's been said that there could be less food for the cod in the north sea than of present. Definatly more questions than anwers.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I just wonder what the Whiting research would show if it were undertaken in one of the big estuaries like The Humber, tees, and Tyne. These seem to be the area where a lot of little codling show up at certain times of year and these places are also alive with whiting.

Yes. It is a good point Whats the reasoning for doing this research in open sea, aparently at random when much more valuable info. could be obtained were venerable prey are known to be present?

WELL......These guys on 30K+ know what they are doing dont they ? OF COURSE THEY DO :rolleyes:

I am cynical yes, but I know how the system works ie grants and all that . One thing is for certain if they paid the guys at the sharp end both commercials and us a small fee to forward our experiences I am sure it would help matters and potentially save cash.

Whiting is not a problem Wurzel has said previously that the french are targeting them this year. The sw has seen a record amount of cod already this year and the water is warmer down there apparently, compared to the north sea.

Hello barry

I don't think the SW have had record amount of cod, just accurate landing figures because of the buyers and sellers.

As you all know this is a subject close to my hart.

I have always maintained that cod recruitment is regulated by temperature, I have witness it first hand on a regular basis over the years.

the colder the winter the more mini codling we see the following year. whether it's bugs surviving to eat the larva or bugs surviving to be eaten by the cod larva I don't know, once they get to mini codling size temperature does not have so much effect on where they inhabit, food sauce is more important.

I don't hold much truck with the theory that less than 1% of cod spawn survive to become adult cod, it might after a very mild winter like this one but during a severe winter like 62 3 many more perhaps as much as 80% survive, from what I can make out the so called gadoid explosion that followed that year came from next to nothing stock wise. the following 15 or so years of much colder winters also produced some very good recruitment years, the slightly better recruitment we have seen in the last couple of years are nothing in comparison. unless regular hard winters return there will never be a return of cod stocks to those former levels.

I honestly don't think the UK fleet as it is now will have any effect on stocks, as I said the gadoid exploitation come from nothing which is why I am not sure that the commercial pressure has had that much effect on recruitment, but as I am constantly being reminded that is only my opinion.

I really am get very cynical with the scientists, I am sure they are milking it as much as they can just like the global warming fiasco

it's a gravy train.

I have never seen a codling inside a whiting but I have seen thousands of whiting inside cod.

One consolation I predict another large recruitment of bass this spring unlike a zero one last year, some thing that was rare during the 60's.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hi clem

I live in central southern England,

3 years ago, all the summer and winter sprats went missing and have not been seen since.

The offshore sandeels are now hard to catch as well.

36 cm to 1 kilo bass went missing and also the hugh shoals of summer whiting far offshore

in the deep water.

Perhaps they have moved up your way followed by the french trawlers

steve