Early season fly choice - rivers

Anderoo

The coarse gear is now stowed away until June 16th and in a few weeks I'll be venturing out again to the little stream where I had so much fun last spring. The trout there are only small and were not too tricky to catch on dries from May onwards, but I'd like to start earlier than that and try with wets and nymphs. What would you recommend? All I know is that later in the year there are plenty of sedges and mayflies, and in the gravel are loads of shrimps and tiny leaches.

Advise me up! :thumbs:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The coarse gear is now stowed away until June 16th and in a few weeks I'll be venturing out again to the little stream where I had so much fun last spring. The trout there are only small and were not too tricky to catch on dries from May onwards, but I'd like to start earlier than that and try with wets and nymphs. What would you recommend? All I know is that later in the year there are plenty of sedges and mayflies, and in the gravel are loads of shrimps and tiny leaches.

small spider patterns and weighted hares-ear nymphs.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Get yourself on to a salmon river that allows trout fishing and use the above mentioned flies, great brownies early on. (providing they allow it down there) :rolleyes:

Anderoo

Partridge and Orange, Snipe and Purple and a Silver March Brown or Silver Knicker (Invicta) on the point, fished across and down

Works for me.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Can't argue with any of the previous.

My favourites are spider patterns, these are about as good as they get, and good value IMO

There is also a good guide to when to use them (click on which spider when)

http://www.fishingwithstyle.co.uk/northcountry.htm

Don't forget the PTN and Hares Ear nymphs, you will probably find that the 2 wt doesn't cast a weighted nymph too well.

Have fun and let us know how you get on with it

Dave

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Cheers folks. I've got an 8ft 4-weight outfit which I'll probably use with weighted nymphs. I'll just use the 2-weight with dries probably. Should be fun!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Weighted buzzers...weight either with lead wire or goldhead beads...I usually tie them in black, claret, light and dark green, and fawn (as in Tup's Fancy). Wouldn't be without March Brown and Silver Invicta either at this time of year! The Czech Nymphs are something I'm going to look at this season too...they look the bizz!

Moggy

Hi Anderoo

I was fishing the small river Lagan at the week end

The flies that i used were a copper nympsh size 14 and when fish did begin to rise i changed to a size 16 peacock f fly .

I had a total of 7 fish between 10.30 am and 3.30 pm.

Of all the patterns i have used a size 16 or 18 peacock f fly has never let me down yet.

fluff chucker

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've has three short trips to the stream now, and not a single trout! I've had one snatched take to a little wet and one to a small goldhead caddis, both fished across and down as they swung round, but that's it. Despite there being plenty of hawthorns and Alders about I haven't seen any rises. Presumambly they're hugging the bottom in the deeper water, but I can't get anywhere with them. Hopefully in the next week or two there'll be some decent sedge hatches and I can start catching on dries...

I'm blaming the curse of the new tackle! Not lack of skill, definitely...