US/UK import duties

paintfly

Thinking of getting a new seat from the US and I've been quoted different shipping costs from 2 companies.

1. Around $35 for UPS-expedited or UPS-Express and they say extra duties may apply(I'm assuming UPS is the US postal service?)

2. $56 for Fedex International Priority and they say customers have never mentioned anything about extra duties.

Does anybody know whether Fedex is any less likely to incur extra costs in duty because it's a courier company? Is this included in the price?

I'm tempted to go with the second option anyway, as they are the original manufacturers, but it would be annoying to be landed with extra costs on top of more expensive shipping.

Thinking of getting a new seat from the US and I've been quoted different shipping costs from 2 companies.

1. Around $35 for UPS-expedited or UPS-Express and they say extra duties may apply(I'm assuming UPS is the US postal service?)

2. $56 for Fedex International Priority and they say customers have never mentioned anything about extra duties.

Does anybody know whether Fedex is any less likely to incur extra costs in duty because it's a courier company? Is this included in the price?

I'm tempted to go with the second option anyway, as they are the original manufacturers, but it would be annoying to be landed with extra costs on top of more expensive shipping.

UPS is the Courier Firm and they always seem to attract the attention of the revenue men - maybe something to do with the fact that they collect the duty for the taxman - probably get a nice commision for doing so?

USPS is the US postal Service, and very good it is too, hardly ever gets subjected to duty and usually very fast.

Fedex, I don't know about, probably similar to UPS.

If the package is small I'd always go for USPS...........

For your seat, you could try Cabelas, their postage system is based on the value of the goods, rather than the weight, so large, relatively inexpensive items are much cheaper to ship than small relatively expensive items.

With Cabelas you can also specify 'surface mail' which is very cheap and usually doesn't attract the attention of customs - down side is that it can take 2 weeks or more to arrive.

Barry

I buy alot of gear from the US and Canada.

UPS : You will definately have to pay tax. They always declare. Cabelas mostly use UPS so just accept it and be content with the favourable exchange rate.

DHL : It's pretty much the luck of the draw. Mostly i've got away with it, but sometimes your stung.

Remember to ask the vendor to not post the value on the invoice and not to post it on the outside of the parcel. They know what you're asking and are generally willing to oblige.

I bought a depth finder from America, delivered by Fedex, and wasn't charged anything!

Same here, Fedex no problem, also CE marked before anyone bangs on about that! I believe the minimum value of items needing to be declared has been increased recently, also, you could ask them to mark as 'Gift' but maybe a little cheeky.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

try this link it may help

Goods sent as a gift are not free of import duties and import VAT. However, customs duty will not be collected if the amount is less than £7, and under EC Directives and Regulations excise duty and import VAT is not chargeable if:

the value of the gift does not exceed £36

the customs declaration is completed correctly

the gift has been sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country

the gift is for the use of either yourself or your family

there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly

alcohol, tobacco products etc are within the allowances detailed in paragraphs 2.5 and 2.6

the gift is of an occasional nature only eg for a birthday or anniversary.

import charges

Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif