Cuckmere Haven 28.3.07

paintfly

Fished Cuckmere Haven again today. Launched around 2pm into a 5 knot Easterly, flat sea and a beautiful day, although the inversion meant visibility was not as good as last time. Trolled a new lure that arrived in the post this morning (Yozuri Mag popper) close in to the cliffs, this time, and was rewarded with a decent 58 cm bass (PB) when I got to the mouth of the Haven. Note the depth on the FF: 4.2 ft.

Strangely, it felt like a bit of an anti climax catching what was obviously going to be the best fish of the day, as soon as I’d arrived at the mark, so I headed out to the wreck again for another pout fest, best of which was about 2lb. Breeze picked up to a 12 knot SE and the occasional swell breaking over the yak, but nothing too alarming. Headed back around 6.30pm, landing without incident, for a change.

Cuckmere7Sisters.jpg

PBBass.jpg

CuckmerePout.jpg

Just noticed I got the date wrong, shoulda been Tue 27th, but the topic heading doesn't appear to be edit-able. Great as they are Prowlers are not yet capable of time travel :)

Edited by paintfly

Nice Bass Kevin, well done! And 'trolling, a popper too, I've not tried nor even contemplated trolling a popper but from the evidence presented.... it clearly works. The smaller version of that lure casts almost as far as a Bass Bullet and is one to have in your lure collection also.... and I guess you still need a Thunderstick too.

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

Nice Bass Kevin, well done! And 'trolling, a popper too, I've not tried nor even contemplated trolling a popper but from the evidence presented.... it clearly works. The smaller version of that lure casts almost as far as a Bass Bullet and is one to have in your lure collection also.... and I guess you still need a Thunderstick too.

Moonyaker

To be fair, Jools, I had stopped paddling and was drifting past some likely looking rocks when the strike came, so you may well be right about it being an unorthodox strategy. I had been paddling at about 3mph, which might be a bit fast for trolling, but I was keen to get to the mark. Also, whenever I looked round, I was being followed by a huge gaggle of sea birds the entire way, which must have scared off any potentially interested fish; I even had to shout at a few of the bolder/more stupid ones who looked like they were going to try and seize the lure.

The main reason I was trolling the popper, apart from it being brand new, is because it was the only plug I had with a shallow action and I wanted to get in for a close look at the cliffs. I am still rebuilding my collection after losing the lot last year when my crate went over the side (don't ask). So, any suggestions from a lure junkie such as your good self are always welcome :D

Good report and a nice Bass!

What weight would you guess it was?

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

What weight was it.......?

Now there is a good question and a very timely lead in: For those that are interested BASS have produced a tape measure, waterproof, tearproof, fishy smelly proof.....marked in CMs, with weights to length scale and age of fish (roughly) obtained from over 30 years of scale readings.

The price for this wonderfully useful piece of kit which will provide excellent evidence for tourneys etc - photo alongside scale....of which all the proceeds go into the Bass Restoration Fund, to try and provide you all with more and bigger bass - £2. + a stamp and self addressed envelope.

Those who would like one - PM me to start with and I will get a batch and divi them up - or come and see me at one of the kayak demo days, or fishing meets. Give me a week to get them sorted out because we are off on hols next week. I'll PM you my address, then that will give the posty time to bring your envelopes and cheques made out to BASS onto my doorstep.

As for Kevs 58cm fish - 4.5lbs almost exactly (variations on condition - but that is a fine fish) age probably in the region of 8 or 9 years old.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

What weight was it.......?

Now there is a good question and a very timely lead in: For those that are interested BASS have produced a tape measure, waterproof, tearproof, fishy smelly proof.....marked in CMs, with weights to length scale and age of fish (roughly) obtained from over 30 years of scale readings.

The price for this wonderfully useful piece of kit which will provide excellent evidence for tourneys etc - photo alongside scale....of which all the proceeds go into the Bass Restoration Fund, to try and provide you all with more and bigger bass - £2. + a stamp and self addressed envelope.

Those who would like one - PM me to start with and I will get a batch and divi them up - or come and see me at one of the kayak demo days, or fishing meets. Give me a week to get them sorted out because we are off on hols next week. I'll PM you my address, then that will give the posty time to bring your envelopes and cheques made out to BASS onto my doorstep.

As for Kevs 58cm fish - 4.5lbs almost exactly (variations on condition - but that is a fine fish) age probably in the region of 8 or 9 years old.

And here's the proof

post-6799-1175103459_thumb.jpg

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"