Stop the World, I wanna get off

Team Man

Was going to Morrisons to fill the car up with petrol, and thought while I was going there I might as well fill up the four and a half gall can for the lawn mowers, Put the Jerrycan down and opened the flap and cap of the car, thought I would fill the can first, was in the process of filling the can when was suddenly aware the pump had stopped working looked at the pump it had definately been registering so tried again, but no, there was no petrol coming out of the nozzle, then a girl came up to me and said " I'm sorry you can't fill that up it doesn't comply with the regulations for unleaded petrol", I said why doesn't it comply she said it just doesn't, there are cans inside that you can use, I then said how is it a Steel can Produced for the Govt for the use of the army for petrol storage cannot be used for unleaded petrol, She said, I'm sorry its nothing to do with me you can't use that, I said but it is a steel can designed with a sealed cap to withstand a fire flash and you say its not suitable to hold uleaded petrol, she then said i'm sorry we can't let you fill it up, so I said alright I'll buy it elsewhere and with that I closed the can and the car petrol cap put the can in the car and drove off and filled up at sainsbury's.

I had probably put more than a gallon in the can at morrisons when they swithed the pump off that I didn't pay for.

Now, with their CCT cameras all around I will await the post with interest to see if they follow it up for driving off without paying......what do you think

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

seems prety dodgy to me that they say you can use cans that they have inside. i think they are trying to make more money from you by then pricing the cans at £10. id email your story to watch dog and see what happens, id imagine they would respond as petrol stations have been in it lately

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

seems prety dodgy to me that they say you can use cans that they have inside. i think they are trying to make more money from you by then pricing the cans at £10. id email your story to watch dog and see what happens, id imagine they would respond as petrol stations have been in it lately

The silly thing is the cans that they sell are made from plastic, how come an ex army steel Jerrycan cannot be classed as suitable alongside a plastic container, nothing in this world makes sense to me anymore.

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

The silly thing is the cans that they sell are made from plastic, how come an ex army steel Jerrycan cannot be classed as suitable alongside a plastic container, nothing in this world makes sense to me anymore.

its just another way companies are trying to screw us.

banks are another good example of this with insuficient funds charges

telephone companies with holding information in the hope your 14 day trial runs out before they get anywhere

and it seems the trading standards authorities are doing nothing.

btw those army cans can they be used for diesel and do they let any fumes out like plastic ones do, id like to keep one in the back of my car but its took months to get the stench of diesel out because of the plastic ones

First site I found with the regulations on it:

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/business/s...fuelcontainers/

the jerry can may have fallen foul of this bit:

Metal containers must have a vapour proof, securely fitting cap and must not exceed 23 litres capacity and must be labelled as follows:

"Petroleum Spirit - Highly Flammable"

Most folks don't have them labeled correctly - but definitely a jobsworth!

I was at a Morrisons today and watched one guy fill 15 jerry cans, no labels, no complaint from the staff :D

but this is more interesting

http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/65-9.htm

SUMMARY

20 At filling stations, there is no specific legal restriction on the type or number of containers that can be filled (although Petroleum Licensing Authorities often use licensing conditions to limit the containers sizes). The legal limits are on how and where they are subsequently kept.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

i mentioned this on a motor website i visit, one guy said its deof not allowed and posted this

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/tim2001/petrol.jpg

fiill up some plastic ones then transfer to jerry, not ideal i know but a work around none the less

Edited by Andy_1984

Just done a quick read around the subject, and it would appear that the rules can be summarised as follows.

Plastic containers upto 5 litre capacity are fine - but only if designed for petrol, and labeled as follows:

Manufacturer's name

Nominal capacity in litres (maximum 5 litres)

Complies with SI 1982/630

Petrol highly flammable

Any necessary warning signs and precautions

Metal containers can be used, they must have a vapour proof, securely fitting cap and must not exceed 23 litres capacity and must be labelled as follows:

"Petroleum Spirit - Highly Flammable"

So if you have jerry cans make sure they are correctly labeled - I've seen self adhesive ones for sale somewhere - and 23 litres or less (5 gallons in old money) are you are fine.

If anyone tells you different point them in the direction of S.I. 630 of 1982 which can be cited as Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Container) Regulations 1982, and tell 'em to go forth and multiply!

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

If you want to really confuse them tow your boat to the petrol station and fill up. If the plastic fuel tank is not connected to the engine you can only put 5 litres in it. Connect it to the fuel hose and you can fill it. Disconnect it and then connect the next one to the engine and fill that. Perfectly legal as long as the container has the appropriate warnings.

As long as it is connected to the engine it is a fuel tank and can legally be filled whatever the capacity, not connected it becomes a container and subject to the 5 litre plastic / 23 litre metal limits.

Best is whilst connected to the engine it doesn't need any warnings on it. As soon as you disconnect it you do.

Shambles springs to mind