This might be a daft question but...

darwin

Let me fill you in first, I've come back to fishing after many years absence and I'm stunning myself by how little I ever knew and by how much of that I've forgotten, but I do know who to ask - all you knowledgable anglersnetters! So that leads me to my questions:

1) on waters with a 'no groundbait' rule, I understand why but does this mean you can still use a feeder or that you can still chuck in a bit of loose feed or what? any tips for fishing no groundbait waters gratefully received.

2) I've read that when using mixers or pellets as bait that they should be 'glued' to the hook. How? (I didn't think pritt stick or super glue would do the job). Any better ways of getting them on a hook, also gratefully appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

as to the groundbait question, you'd need to ask the owner/baliff, theres no hard and fast rule on that one, it varies from water to water.

Attaching pellets/mixers to the hook, by far the easiest way is a bait-band, basically a tiny rubber band you put around the pellet and then slip over the hook.

A couple of quid should buy you a tub that will last the whole season!

Mat

Mat

• 2 weeks later...

Mainly I have found that the no groudbait rule is to stop people balling in 4-5 orange sized balls of groundbait. Most seem to allow it either using a groundbait feeder or a cupping kit or tosspot with the pole.

In places where it is just using a feeder I've seen people use a feeder to put groundbait in then either fish over it with either a pole or a waggler. Hayfield at Doncaster used to have that rule.

Pellets can has as been said glued or attached using a pellet band. Soft pellets can be hooked as normal. A tip with hard pellets is to varnish them with clear varnish, no don't laugh. If you do that then the pellet doesn't absorb water during the session and depending on how it is attached will last for ages.

Korum have come up with a couple of good products. hooks which have either a hair rig and little plastic stop or hooks with a litte plastic bait screw. Ideal fo those who can't tie a knotless knot.

Hope this is of some help.

On no ground bait waters I always throw a bit of hemp in and chuck all corn in at the in the margins and go back next day/week/month

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

Fox 2 1/2 test carp rod + Shimano Baitrunner

Shimano Beast Master 60lb test stand up rod(5 1/2ft) + Penn international 2 speed with 30lb mono

COMING SOON: Abu #6/7 and okuma fly reel.

medaley0.jpg

Freshwater PB: 31 lb carp

Saltwater PB: 49lb tuna

On no ground bait waters I always throw a bit of hemp in and chuck all corn in at the in the margins and go back next day/week/month

I thought "no groundbait" meant no grounbait :unsure:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I thought "no groundbait" meant no grounbait :unsure:

If no one see's no one knows.. ;)

Airguns:

Air Arms S200 .22

Cometa 5

Fishing rods and reel:

Fox 2 1/2 test carp rod + Shimano Baitrunner

Shimano Beast Master 60lb test stand up rod(5 1/2ft) + Penn international 2 speed with 30lb mono

COMING SOON: Abu #6/7 and okuma fly reel.

medaley0.jpg

Freshwater PB: 31 lb carp

Saltwater PB: 49lb tuna

If no one see's no one knows.. ;)

That is one of the most irresponsible comments I've seen on these forums. The no groundbait rule is to protect the fishes health, by stopping them having to swim around in water full of half decayed food. The amount that goes in as loose feed on the average commercial is probably more than is healthy for them to eat as it is. They certainly don't need anyone slinging in a load of corn "for next week". Corn is probably the least digestible food there is. The proof of that is pretty obvious and we wont go into details! Suffice to say that if we can't digest it I'm sure fish can't.

The no groudbait rule by hand can be gotten around by using a feeder, spod or pot.

It does make me laugh as an angler can still put in the same amount using these methods as balling it in.

The no grounbait full stop rule can be gotten around as most pellets and groundbait these days are fishmeal based - soak feed pellets with warm water until they can be sqeezed into a ball. The ball hits the bottom and breaks up, the pellets start to dissolve = groundbait.

The same pellets can also be cast out in a cage feeder.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

That is one of the most irresponsible comments I've seen on these forums. The no groundbait rule is to protect the fishes health, by stopping them having to swim around in water full of half decayed food. The amount that goes in as loose feed on the average commercial is probably more than is healthy for them to eat as it is. They certainly don't need anyone slinging in a load of corn "for next week". Corn is probably the least digestible food there is. The proof of that is pretty obvious and we wont go into details! Suffice to say that if we can't digest it I'm sure fish can't.

Colin,

Fish eat loads of stuff we can't digest, so I think it would be wrong to assume thay can't digest corn. Uncooked corn and wheat has been blowing off fields into rivers and lakes for thousands of years as a food source for fish. I'm sure tinned corn is digested far more easily. I've been using corn for all of my angling years because it is a brilliant bait for most species. If I thought it was detrimental to fishes health then I would stop using it tomorrow.