Which braid

Kappa

i use fireline for virtually everything these days, it's fantastic and now comes in a clear version (fireline crystal). it floats, but i've never understood why this is a problem for most types of fishing (maybe someone can explain). the only time i resort to a sinking line is when waggler fishing.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been interested in the fireline crystal but was hoping for some details by an angler rather than an advert. Could you give some details?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Some waters around my area are banning braid, so it is one thing to look out for, not very nice if all you have in your box is braid and they come round and stop you fishing.

Hi i sea fish not fresh water and use braid most of the time but can you tell me why they consider braid a problem?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I've been interested in the fireline crystal but was hoping for some details by an angler rather than an advert. Could you give some details?

well, here's a non-expert view. it's thin, but probably not as thin as other braids. to give you a crude idea, berkeley say 20lb fireline has the diameter of 8lb mono. this seems about right. it's pretty stiff, about the same as equivalent diameter mono when it's new, but it becomes less stiff with usage and i've had no problem with line lay (although i slightly underfill my spools).

knot strength is reliable with the right knots. it floats. the clear stuff won't compete with fluorocarbon and the like, but i'm certainly more confident when using it than the older smokey grey or hi-viz yellow lines. not enough time to make an objective comparison of catch rates yet, though i'm not sure this is possible with any terminal tackle.

the one thing i don't like is that it looks like it's fraying when it's not. this can be quite disconcerting. i've never had a problem though and abrasion resistance seems reasonable.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Hi i sea fish not fresh water and use braid most of the time but can you tell me why they consider braid a problem?

Hi Barry,

I use braid for sea fishing too, have done since the 70's, because of the no stretch, it's like having a telephone down to the bottom, you can get all the information as to what the bottom is like.

On one of the carp lakes I fish when I asked why braid was banned I was told because too many people were using such heavy breaking strain line they were putting too much pressue on the fish and causing mouth damage, he has limited it to 8lb Mono

I must admit I was horrified at the amount of mouth damage on fish there

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Hi Barry,

I use braid for sea fishing too, have done since the 70's, because of the no stretch, it's like having a telephone down to the bottom, you can get all the information as to what the bottom is like.

On one of the carp lakes I fish when I asked why braid was banned I was told because too many people were using such heavy breaking strain line they were putting too much pressue on the fish and causing mouth damage, he has limited it to 8lb Mono

I must admit I was horrified at the amount of mouth damage on fish there

Thanks very much for the information Alan, i have seen adverts regarding 'carp' braid etc where the bs has been 20-50lb and i say to my self what the h do they want that breaking strain for? I use that for fishing over wrecks in 50m of water or more. I fully understand the use as the telephone wire. Primerily i first bought it purly on the basis that we could fish with minimal weight in good flow of tides.Cheers.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Thanks Sipadan.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Nic!

Thats what put me on to Nash Bullet braid! Steve doesn't mention anything about the diameter though, I'm sure it is thinner than the same breaking strain mono but I'd be interested in exactly how much!

Rich

The Tackle Box did some tests on the strength and diameter of lots of lines, although it should be borne in mind that these are based on dry breaking strains. Nylon monofilament for instance typically loses some 10% of its strength when wet, although it varies from brand to brand. Flourocarbon and braid I believe do not.

You can see the results (including those for Bullet Braid) at http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/line_tests.htm

I'm now using Power Pro rather than Bullet Braid as being thinner for its breaking strain I can cast further with it. Bullet Braid is probably thicker due to having an extra component to make it sink. However, bear in mind when comparing braids that many are optimistically rated for breaking strain. Bullet Braid though is more realistic.

Both Power Pro and Bullet Braid are relatively good for abrasion resistance compared with other braids. However neither compare with nylon monofilament.

For this reason I choose a higher breaking strain in braid than I would in nylon. I don't go as far as Budgie and many others though in using similar diameters. Instead I go somewhere in between. That way I get both extra strength and, thanks to the lower diameter, I can cast further with a fixed spool reel.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The Tackle Box did some tests on the strength and diameter of lots of lines, although it should be borne in mind that these are based on dry breaking strains. Nylon monofilament for instance typically loses some 10% of its strength when wet, although it varies from brand to brand. Flourocarbon and braid I believe do not.

You can see the results (including those for Bullet Braid) at http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/line_tests.htm

I'm now using Power Pro rather than Bullet Braid as being thinner for its breaking strain I can cast further with it. Bullet Braid is probably thicker due to having an extra component to make it sink. However, bear in mind when comparing braids that many are optimistically rated for breaking strain. Bullet Braid though is more realistic.

Both Power Pro and Bullet Braid are relatively good for abrasion resistance compared with other braids. However neither compare with nylon monofilament.

For this reason I choose a higher breaking strain in braid than I would in nylon. I don't go as far as Budgie and many others though in using similar diameters. Instead I go somewhere in between. That way I get both extra strength and, thanks to the lower diameter, I can cast further with a fixed spool reel.

This was my plan. I was hoping to use a decent abrasion resistant braid in a higher breaking strain (but similar or sligthly larger diameter) than the mono I'm using at the moment. I don't see the need to use 20lb line, however I figure the this would have a much greater abrasion reistance than say 10lb mono. However if the braid is almost as thick as the mono the benefits are much reduced!

As a short term fix I've brought some strong berkley big game. I hope this behaves itself!

Rich

Exactly right on the wet/dry thing Steve. Fluoro and the super-line sytles of braid don't absorb water so they basically have their dry strength all the time.