Best way to beat a under tow while float fishing....

chris mc

Don't forget feeding. In a strong cross wind, although the top layer is travelling one way, the bottom is going the other, so feed can be yards away from where you think it should be.

In this moving water,( the strength of flow is sometimes surprising), the bottom layer can be moving like a river, and it's possible to 'trot' a bait up wind, (if you have room in your swim). The fish are used to a bait moving in the current, and will take.

It's just that I like float fishing, and try to make it work in every situation I can.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Most of the time it is a matter of sinking the line putting some shot on the bottom and using bigger and longer floats.

One alternative tactic that sometimes works is to fish a slider so that the bulk of the shotting (dont use a loaded slider) is down the line in the tow whilst the float is in the surface drag so the two are effectively pulling against each other. This can sometimes be achived with a fixed float, putting most shot down the line rather than round the float. Casting will not be easy but it may slow down the movement of the float or allow less shot to be put on the bottom. If putting a lot of shot down the line dont be tempted to put on one or two big shot go for lots of smaller shot maybe as much as a dozen number 4s.

If I really wanted a bait that did not move I would either fish the lead or the pole. That said some of my best wagler catches on still water (maybe all of them) have come letting a float trot through at a controlled spead in windy conditions. Like on a river it is a matter of getting the float to travel at the same spead as the water at the level where the bait is. To get theat it is a matter of experimenting with the size of float the amount of shot down the line and the amount of shot on the bottom.

I use two methods to defeat heavy tow or wind,

Polaris floats are great, especialy in deep water, I have used them in the margins (when its deep) for tench and carp.

it can be a bit tricky to set the float in a strong wind but with time you find the method.

The polaris is excerlent for distance float dishing in poor conditions.

The other method is strett peging, over shot a quill float at over depth, and cast till; the float sinks, wind in till you are fishing at an angle to the bait and the float shows, or cast and feather the line to land at an angle, bites are very positive using this method. this method is best for under tow not so good in heavy wind.

I never use a waggler when there is a heavy wind or under tow these days and enjoy my fishing more. I know the feeling of thinking, am I in the weeds, is my bait moving and putting of the fish and all those other niggles.

I now fish with confidence.

hope this helps

Richard

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

One alternative tactic that sometimes works is to fish a slider so that the bulk of the shotting (dont use a loaded slider) is down the line in the tow whilst the float is in the surface drag so the two are effectively pulling against each other.

I've fished big pits right into the wind using drennan wind-beaters with the bulk shot well a few feet from the hook and a sliding float rig. I can't rate them highly enough! This is what they look like!

Clipboard01.bmp

As plenty of other (including yourself) have alluded to; there is usually a strong undertow working against a breeze.

First, choose a long float and lock it on the line with 3/4 of the total loadng. A 3AA float will take something like 2AA and 2x number 4 shot, which can be split equally, either side of the float base. Now put 8 number 8 shot starting at half depth, spread 1/4" apart to make a strung bulk. These will pick up the undertow and move the float back against the wind, called picking up the trip down here in the south-west. It is a deadly method for all types of fish, but especially skimmers.

If you want the float to hold still, move the float overdepth by a foot and drop half the number 8s down to the bottom foot of line, that should do the trick.

You may have to experiment with the spacing between the number 8s to get perfect presentation. Sometimes it works better if they are pushed tight together, other times they need to be spaced 1/2" apart. You can also try dropping two of those number 8s tight together a couple of inches from the hook and look out for lift bites.

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk