Barbel on the Severn

nickrp

With the new season only a month or so away, I'm starting to look forward to getting on the river after some barbel. I'm looking for somewhere on the Severn and I've heard that Hampton Loade, Bridgnorth and Bewdley are all worth a go. Anyone got any suggestions on venues and or tactics? I read somewhere about the "Time Bomb" feeder rig, has anyone else heard of this, and if so what is it?

Guest Rabbit
With the new season only a month or so away, I'm starting to look forward to getting on the river after some barbel. I'm looking for somewhere on the Severn and I've heard that Hampton Loade, Bridgnorth and Bewdley are all worth a go. Anyone got any suggestions on venues and or tactics? I read somewhere about the "Time Bomb" feeder rig, has anyone else heard of this, and if so what is it?

Hi

You have mentioned the most prolific barbel venues in the country. I dont fish these venues as I think they are a bit too popular, but non the less well worth a visit. The Hampton Loade stretch is I think still day ticket and the permits can be purchased from the Pub near Hampton Loade Railway Station .

The Time Bomb method was perfected by Matt Hayes, simply its a mixture of ground Hallibut pallets and crumb all loaded into a open end feeder. Personally I think any standard feeder method would work, also the stick float would be worth a try.

I do fish the Lower Severn where the barbel are bigger but fewer in numbers. The middle severn will often reward you as much as ten or so barbel in the 5/6 lbs category.

Guest Brumagem Phil

I know a spot where between the two of us we took 21 barbel in 2 hours......had to take a rod in each in the end as we couldnt keep up! Was like fishing a commercial caro fishery in July!!

Average stamp is 7lb to 8lb with my PB 12lb 4oz and my mate 14lb 2oz

Hi

You have mentioned the most prolific barbel venues in the country. I dont fish these venues as I think they are a bit too popular, but non the less well worth a visit. The Hampton Loade stretch is I think still day ticket and the permits can be purchased from the Pub near Hampton Loade Railway Station .

The Time Bomb method was perfected by Matt Hayes, simply its a mixture of ground Hallibut pallets and crumb all loaded into a open end feeder. Personally I think any standard feeder method would work, also the stick float would be worth a try.

I do fish the Lower Severn where the barbel are bigger but fewer in numbers. The middle severn will often reward you as much as ten or so barbel in the 5/6 lbs category.

Thanks Rabbit, that helps alot. One other thing, alot of anglers seem to be using red mainline such as red mist. They claim it's because red is the first colour to become invisible underwater. Have any of you tried it, and is it any good? I only ask 'cos I would have thought that it is assuming that fish see colours in the same way we do, and I haven't seen any evidence that they do!!

Thanks Rabbit, that helps alot. One other thing, alot of anglers seem to be using red mainline such as red mist. They claim it's because red is the first colour to become invisible underwater. Have any of you tried it, and is it any good? I only ask 'cos I would have thought that it is assuming that fish see colours in the same way we do, and I haven't seen any evidence that they do!!

It was discussed in some detail here, nick.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.p...amp;hl=red+line

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

A lot of that area is relativly devoid of features so make sure you've got somewhere to draw your fish from.

Put down a bed of hemp and fish in the evening when the ligh levels start to decrease - better and cheaper is to drop into a peg that's already been baited up by someone who's gone home at 5.30 looking like a lobster having caught very little all day !

For bait, I'd go with casters or meat cut up small (5 - 7mm dice) but I'm sure that pellets are all the go these days.

~You can chuck out a feeder and join the ranks of stargazers lining the river but to enjoy them, why not rig up a big chubber and trot meat on a float ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have also thought about paying a visit to Hampton Loade. The Kinver Freeliners website advises that there are 60 pegs, and day tickets available. Does anybody here have any experience of fishing this particular stretch, and how busy does it get in July/Aug?

I have also thought about paying a visit to Hampton Loade. The Kinver Freeliners website advises that there are 60 pegs, and day tickets available. Does anybody here have any experience of fishing this particular stretch, and how busy does it get in July/Aug?

Guest Brumagem Phil
Regardless of where you go for a good bag of barbel I would have to sugest feeder fished maggot and hemp or caster and hemp.Take plenty though!

Somebody drag this bloke into the 21st century!!! :rolleyes:

Halibut pellets, halibut pellets and oh yeah, did I say halibut pellets? :thumbs:

Actually, don't overlook some of these rather nice boillies too! Mate of mine is a big boillie fan and I always end up pinching his boillies to snowman onto my hair rigs just so I can keep up with his catch rate!! Last years big winner was a freezer 'maple' boillie with matching dip! Smelled so good I nearly ate a few myself. Outside my budget though I'm afraid at 10 quid a bag and another tenner for the dip!