Chieftain Charters 4th May............

mr motorola

Leaving under the bridge at 1.00pm we left Whitby harbour on a course due east for the fishing grounds (north east of the Dogger Bank).

The following morning all the lads were ready and waiting for the "right ho lads" from the skipper and down we went, the 1st wreck fished ok with fish coming aboard (but nothing really big) and so did the following 2 after that.

It was on the 4th wreck that things started to get exciting , the wind had dropped and so was the sea. 2's and 3's coming up all over the boat (all between 5 and 10lb )

Picture141.jpg

Picture143.jpg

All the anglers lifting fish and having a great time!!

Picture145.jpg

That was the norm for the rest of the day (with the heaviest fish going to yours truly)

A cod tipping the scales at 22lb

100_1101-1.jpg

Picture146.jpg

Picture148.jpg

Iknow the scales say (about 18lb) , but if you look at the man who's holding the scales , his hands are on the bottom off them (holding up part of the weight)!!!!!!!!!

The second day was not as nice (weather wise)

100_1103.jpg

It was hard work for all of us , but we made the most of the conditions and were stilling pulling Cod , Coalie , Ling and Pollack aboard!!

Have a look at the next 3 pictures................see if you can work out what it is.................

Picture137.jpg

Picture138.jpg

Picture139.jpg

The little bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(He's pinched my fish!!!!!!!)

All in all it was a fantastic trip with all the lads enjoying the fishing. I lost count of the amount of fish i threw back (well over 20) and still came home with over 8 stone of fillets for the family

I would like to thank all of the new crew on their efforts on the trip (Brilliant). Everything was catered for , the food , filleting , getting out of the wrecks .........everything WELL DONE!!

Coming back into Whitby about 70 miles off-ish , we were greated by a school of Dolphins swimming around the boat , sorry for the vagueness , but trust me it's a Dolphin!!

Picture153.jpg

Edited by mr motorola

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Good trip then Carl,nice fish and good photo's....I can see you catching something alot bigger this year and good luck...what size fillet did you get off the seal..he was a greedy chap,good luck anyway as off to pack,sort out for next week..if I don't hear from you I am back in the uk 4/06

Good to hear the new owners have everything sorted and that you had a good trip hope ours is just as good in july

just one question

the filleting - we know it takes a lot of time on board chieftain ( especially on a good day) the last we heard George was thinking about a machine,

is this the case or is it still done by hand

Good to hear the new owners have everything sorted and that you had a good trip hope ours is just as good in july

just one question

the filleting - we know it takes a lot of time on board chieftain ( especially on a good day) the last we heard George was thinking about a machine,

is this the case or is it still done by hand

At the moment.......the only filleting machine they have is called Eddie and he's a Middlesborough man

But there is talk of one........

P.S. what trips in July are you on? (As i'm on 2 in July)

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Guest challenge

Great report Carl.

The weather looks crap on your second day, but just goes to show you that you can still fish when you have a boat to fish from.

Glad you had a good one and they are doing ok with the filleting. See things march on, John Brennan who was he? As for that cheeky sod who use too fillet our fish? Did they call him john as well?

Regards.

Great report Carl.

The weather looks crap on your second day, but just goes to show you that you can still fish when you have a boat to fish from.

Glad you had a good one and they are doing ok with the filleting. See things march on, John Brennan who was he? As for that cheeky sod who use too fillet our fish? Did they call him john as well?

Regards.

We miss all of you mate (you ought to know that by now)

Sorry i wasn't there this morning , did you come down?

At the moment.......the only filleting machine they have is called Eddie and he's a Middlesborough man

But there is talk of one........

P.S. what trips in July are you on? (As i'm on 2 in July)

Nice to hear some things never change many thanks for the info

we are out on the 22nd july 60 hr

Great report Carl.

Glad you had a good one and they are doing ok with the filleting. See things march on, John Brennan who was he? As for that cheeky sod who use too fillet our fish? Did they call him john as well

As for you challenge i suppose you have mothballed that knife sharpener my brother got for you .

and many thanks for those T bars i am sure they will come in handy in july .

and you did a great job with the filleting thanks again .

By the way Claire is off with us again on this trip any bets on how long it will take for the mal- de mare to set in think it was about two hours last time

Guest challenge

Hi Carl.

Sorry I missed you the boat was in when I got down but no one to bee seen? Did you get in early or was I down to late? Whatever, will have to wait for grahams reports from Norway and get something sorted. :thumbs:

jaffa6938

I left the sharpener on board. I could have sold a hundred as everybody wanted one. Hope you have a good trip :thumbs: and don’t let Claire show you up to much (on the fishing front) this time.

Regards.

Great report Carl.

Regards.

John Brennan who was he?

It is often said that no man is indispensable. That applies to the angling business as well as any other.

While in the angling business, I always strove to push harder and take my customers with me into new frontiers. I believe I achieved my aim, while enjoying every part of the journey. But life moves on, and I felt it was time for me to change direction and pass the baton to a younger man.

It is very gratifying to know that George has the correct attitude to keep up the momentum and continue the adventure. I believe he will keep the ‘Chieftain’ leading the way, the same as it always has done.

Michele and I wish George, Joyce, Des and Linda – and all the Chieftain’s anglers, past, present and in the future – every success, and all the best in the years to come.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

John Brennan who was he?

It is often said that no man is indispensable. That applies to the angling business as well as any other.

While in the angling business, I always strove to push harder and take my customers with me into new frontiers. I believe I achieved my aim, while enjoying every part of the journey. But life moves on, and I felt it was time for me to change direction and pass the baton to a younger man.

It is very gratifying to know that George has the correct attitude to keep up the momentum and continue the adventure. I believe he will keep the ‘Chieftain’ leading the way, the same as it always has done.

Michele and I wish George, Joyce, Des and Linda – and all the Chieftain’s anglers, past, present and in the future – every success, and all the best in the years to come.

JB

John

The service that you offered was second to none and was ideal for the likes of us southerners travelling for up to six hours to get there and for giving us the chance to catch a cod (correction Lots of Cod ) some of us have fished the south coast for more years than we can remember without ever catching one .

you can safeley retire with the knowledge that you have given a lot of your anglers some of the best fishing they have ever had and for that we thank you

we hope all goes well for you and we are sure George will carry on providing the great service that chieftain and all her crew have given over the years.

regards the southampton (Browne) Crew .