Lea Navigation - canal or river?

FishyFraser

This might seem a silly question, and I do not want to reopen the close season debate, but is the river lea (the lea navigation) classed as a canal? If so can it be fished consistent with the 2000 legislation on canal fishing?

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Taken from the Lea Valley Paark website,

Seasonal Closures: all riverine systems continue with the mandatory close season of 15th March to 15th June inclusive. The only exception within the Park is the Lea Navigation from Bow Locks to Aquaduct Lock. The Navigation northwards and ALL rivers, streams, flood channels are closed to any form of angling whatsoever (including Crayfish trapping).

I think you are getting a bit confused here, the River Lee, is a river and subsequently there is the traditional close season. Right next to the River Lee is the Lee Navigational Canal, which is a canal and as such has no close season. The Canal then gets classed as a riverine system above Aqueduct Lock (Nr Hertford I think) and reverts to having a close season.

So, in short, the river is a river and has a close season, the canal is a canal and doesn't.

Aqueduct lock is at Turnford on the Lea Navigation, roughly level with the downstream boundary of the Kings Weir Fishery on the old river.

So, in short, the river is a river and has a close season, the canal is a canal and doesn't.

That's confusing!

It is a canal above Turnford, but it flows, there is a close season on that part of it.