How's it going

Kappa

Had three little perch from the upper river on the dropshot rod today, but it's really on its bones. Hardly any flow, hardly any depth. Saw some good chub, but they were not interested in lures.

3 really nice crucians here on the float and another big one lost at the net, biggest 3.07 :) Then the tench and little carp moved in, which was 'entertaining' on the light gear but not what I was after!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That's really interesting, Rich. But how light do you have to go? My lighter lure rod is 5-20gms. It handles a Mepps No 2 fine, but not really a Mepps No 1. Much of my lure fishing now is with jigs, and I normally use a 10gm jig and 3 inch (including the tail) grub. You've already convinced me I should get some 5gm jigs and a smaller grub.

I can imagine that to catch a roach I'd need to use something quite tiny!

John

Hi John,

Yes the Thames a thames tributary and the canals.

Ultralight does mean small perch but it doesnt rule put better fish.

So where I used to blank I now catch a dozen small perch where conditions are better pike and bigger perch are a possibility.

To be honest I havent fished anywhere decent or in good conditions yet this season on the thames. However I havent had a blank yet. Even in 15 minute sessions whilst the wife shops.

Thats also what I love about the ultralight setup. Its always in the car and even in 15 minutes Id expect to catch.

Rich

john clarke

That's interesting - but how small/light you have to go? My lighter lure rod chucks 5-20gms and is OK for a Mepps No 2, but has difficulty with a Mepps No 1 (3.5gms). Much of my lure fishing nowadays is with a jig, normally 10gm with a 3 inch (including the tail) grub. Based on what you have said and I have looked up about ultralight I am already planning to get some 5gm jigs and smaller grubs. But I imagine I'd have to go pretty tiny to catch a roach!

Hi John,

Yes the Thames a thames tributary and the canals.

Ultralight does mean small perch but it doesnt rule put better fish.

So where I used to blank I now catch a dozen small perch where conditions are better pike and bigger perch are a possibility.

To be honest I havent fished anywhere decent or in good conditions yet this season on the thames. However I havent had a blank yet. Even in 15 minute sessions whilst the wife shops.

Thats also what I love about the ultralight setup. Its always in the car and even in 15 minutes Id expect to catch.

Rich

john clarke

Hi John,

The rod I use is a Tronix Rockfish Ultra Light. Its rated 0.5 to 7grams.

I usually use jig heads from 0.5g upto 3g.

Ill post a few pics of my lure box and tonights haul from a little lake next to my office ;)

Finally todays catch.

As mentioned I fished a little lake near my office. I was hoping to find that there were perch in it as its stuffed with little rudd and has all the ingredients of a huge perch water.

Alas no evidence of perch on the lures.

The rudd however were happy to play, I caughtIplenty!

Also i was able to stalk a few carp, again with the lures. One fell off, i missed one but I did manage to land this beauty.

post-560-0-32510800-1436823927_thumb.jpg

post-560-0-04278800-1436823944_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had a little explore of a local silted up disused canal with the dropshot rod and tiny little soft plastic shads tonight. It's really gone over a bit too far now, there's hardly any open water between the reeds, but I found an empty lock cutting with a bridge over the end of it which had shaded the water and kept the vegetation at bay. It was only about two feet deep, but I had 16 little perch out of it, a couple of them maybe half a pound and all of them well coloured and bristling. Rich is right, it's good fun!