How's it going

Kappa

Ledgering, I racked a big square and put a decent sized bed of groundbait and small particles over it and ledgered a rod to the right and left of the baited area. I had it at around 4.00am in the morning, but unfortunatly i lost another shortly after that looked very heavy when I reeled it in with a mass of weed. It droped off before I had it over the net.

I did manage a few 6 lb Tench on the float the next day on lobs. I was getting little knocks and droped runs on the ledger and thought they most likely where Perch and so I set up float a with some big lobs on a size 4 and a few nice Perch around 2lb followed with a couple of decent Tench to boot.

Nice one, sounds like a great session :).

Few pics from a recent Tench fishing of a bit of a gut bucket. It's never going to win a beauty contest but at 10 lb 7 oz it was a right old lump :)

I thought the head on shot might help show the girth of the fish but it did not really work.

A personal best is always good, so well done.

Know how you feel about the appearance of the fish - my PB carp was like an oversized football and definitely not my favourite picture. My PB perch looks a bit over-blown also. Both my PB brown and rainbow trout are ugly-looking brutes (pause for jokes about prizes in the "fish most like its captor" category) and way behind my favourite trout pictures.

Aesthetically, the "best" fish to catch are those about three-quarters grown in the prime of life. In the case of tench say a well-shaped six to eight pounder. You had your share of those also !

It strikes me that all four of my PBs mentioned above came from small still waters. I cannot think of a single fish I have caught from rivers, big lakes or the sea that looked overweight - and that includes several species well into three figures in pounds. Obviously some comparisons of wild habitats and man-made ones spring to mind, and artificially-bred strains as opposed to natural selection.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

All,

I disagree - on average carp from the Missouri River (5.5 mph) can weigh 1/2 again as a still water carp of equal length and girth.

Well, maybe I don't disagree. While I am a horrible record keeper there is only one PB that I can think of that came from the river (Mississippi River). My PB Alligator Gar of 80 some pounds. The rest large and small still water. No, wait - - - some trout dinks that are PB came from mountain streams.

Let me start over. Carp PB and Catfish PB (small water [pondish]) : Walleye not sure - Northern Pike not sure - Salmon (several varieties) - not sure Grayling - river.

This may be the most worthless post I've ever made on AN

Phone

All,

I disagree - on average carp from the Missouri River (5.5 mph) can weigh 1/2 again as a still water carp of equal length and girth.

Well, maybe I don't disagree. While I am a horrible record keeper there is only one PB that I can think of that came from the river (Mississippi River). My PB Alligator Gar of 80 some pounds. The rest large and small still water. No, wait - - - some trout dinks that are PB came from mountain streams.

Let me start over. Carp PB and Catfish PB (small water [pondish]) : Walleye not sure - Northern Pike not sure - Salmon (several varieties) - not sure Grayling - river.

This may be the most worthless post I've ever made on AN

Phone

wellllll........ im sure theres a few more :spiteful:

• Like 1

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

In other news, I found a pack of perch last night and caught literally one a chuck for a hour or so. The rain had pushed them all into a crease by a cattle drink. Non bigger than a pound but great fun!

Probably going again tonight so I'll try to take some photos this time!