Another reason to go fishing?

Chris Plumb

in all honesty when I was deep into my recent depression the only thing that gave me the time to focus and think through everything that was going was fishing!

I sat there: missing bites, fishing without bait, tears rolling down my face, staring at nothing, watching toads, musing on life and generally being mentally screwed...but it was time when I could just let everything enter my mind and slowly but surely be thought about, worked through, and then finally discarded.

id would heartily recommend any kind of outdoor activity that allows you to simply be you...

Very good advice. Four or five times a week I either go fishing (with or without Norma) or else we walk together on Ashdown Forest for a couple of hours. That keeps both of us mobile, and the interest in fish, birds and natural history keeps our minds ticking over. Immobility and dementia are the two things we wish to avoid if at all possible.

If confined indoors by bad weather, we have plenty of other interests to pursue, but an ongoing outdoor interest is IMHO paramount in a healthy lifestyle.

Have never suffered from depression nor had dealings with anyone who has, so can't really say anything useful, but yes, I can image it would help in the way Kirsute suggests.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I'd agree, being outside in a natural environment can be very therapeutic, at times it is certainly a help to me in my current state!

I do however think you have to temper it slightly as the possible scenario of being alone, outside, whether beside a lake or not, on a really bad day, could potentially lead to a dangerous situation.....I know this from experience.

Sometimes I go fishing on my own, or out walking, and whilst I'm still sensible (some of my friends would dispute this!), there are others who may not be of the same level of thinking. So, if you are going to do the outdoors therapy, on your own, at least make sure someone knows where you are going to be and for how long!

• Like 1