The RNLI

Mark Crame

Evening chaps. I've had a bit of an interesting time of things this evening. And so I'm having a whip-round: If you have a spare cheque and a pen handy and would like to make a donation please send it to me - made payable to RNLI - to add to the donation I shall be taking to the lifeboat station tomorrow. Mark Crame, 35 Grosvenor Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 0BW. Text of the letter sent to my local newspaper by email a short while ago follows:

Thanks chaps. And no, I didn't catch anything!

This evening I went for a paddle a few hundred yards out from the south beach on my sea kayak for a short while to do a spot of fishing and to wind down for the day, during which time I tried out the sail I have just fitted. I was close to the harbour mouth when I saw the Lowestoft Lifeboat come through and assumed that they were carrying out a training exercise – but it was nothing of the sort. A well-meaning and conscientious member of the public had been concerned that I was in distress (presumably through the sail being mistaken for a distress flag) and had placed a call to them to report what could have been an incident.

I would like to publicly thank the RNLI for their sterling efforts in ensuring that no harm had in fact come to me and the speed of their response which, in a distress situation could have been vital to my well-being. I would also like to publicly thank the concerned member of the public who reported what they thought might have been someone in difficulties as they could have saved my life had they been correct. It is incredibly comforting for someone who uses the water frequently to know that people care enough and that others are ready to place other people’s welfare before their own home life. I would also like to apologise for wasting their time!

The RNLI is a charity which receives no government funding and relies solely on charitable donations to do their work, 24 hours of the day and 7 days a week. With the summer approaching this is a timely reminder that many of us residents and many more visitors will be using our wonderful beaches for a range of leisure pursuits and might perhaps be in the position of needing the help of the lifeboatmen - we are fortunate indeed to have them so close. Founded in 1801, the Lowestoft Lifeboat Station is one of the oldest in the country, covering the Broads and rivers as well as the sea, and the Lowestoft crew, who have received 45 awards for gallantry during their history, responded to 61 incidents in 2006. That’s more than once a week. To support them you can telephone 0845 121 4999 or visit www.rnli.org.uk

I would like, once again, to sincerely thank them for ‘being there’, and to thank the member of the public who made the call.

Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Mark, why don't you join the RNLI? It's £24 for a shoreline member, and £60 to be an offshore member.

As mike says membership is the way to go, youll find the majority of us on here are already members and as those of you who were on the The Scrabster 1 visit will know we have even had to make use of their services. And when the skipper gave us back some of our money it went straight to the RNLI funds.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Evening chaps. I've had a bit of an interesting time of things this evening. And so I'm having a whip-round: If you have a spare cheque and a pen handy and would like to make a donation please send it to me - made payable to RNLI - to add to the donation I shall be taking to the lifeboat station tomorrow. Mark Crame, 35 Grosvenor Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, NR33 0BW. Text of the letter sent to my local newspaper by email a short while ago follows:

Thanks chaps. And no, I didn't catch anything!

This evening I went for a paddle a few hundred yards out from the south beach on my sea kayak for a short while to do a spot of fishing and to wind down for the day, during which time I tried out the sail I have just fitted. I was close to the harbour mouth when I saw the Lowestoft Lifeboat come through and assumed that they were carrying out a training exercise – but it was nothing of the sort. A well-meaning and conscientious member of the public had been concerned that I was in distress (presumably through the sail being mistaken for a distress flag) and had placed a call to them to report what could have been an incident.

I would like to publicly thank the RNLI for their sterling efforts in ensuring that no harm had in fact come to me and the speed of their response which, in a distress situation could have been vital to my well-being. I would also like to publicly thank the concerned member of the public who reported what they thought might have been someone in difficulties as they could have saved my life had they been correct. It is incredibly comforting for someone who uses the water frequently to know that people care enough and that others are ready to place other people’s welfare before their own home life. I would also like to apologise for wasting their time!

The RNLI is a charity which receives no government funding and relies solely on charitable donations to do their work, 24 hours of the day and 7 days a week. With the summer approaching this is a timely reminder that many of us residents and many more visitors will be using our wonderful beaches for a range of leisure pursuits and might perhaps be in the position of needing the help of the lifeboatmen - we are fortunate indeed to have them so close. Founded in 1801, the Lowestoft Lifeboat Station is one of the oldest in the country, covering the Broads and rivers as well as the sea, and the Lowestoft crew, who have received 45 awards for gallantry during their history, responded to 61 incidents in 2006. That’s more than once a week. To support them you can telephone 0845 121 4999 or visit www.rnli.org.uk

I would like, once again, to sincerely thank them for ‘being there’, and to thank the member of the public who made the call.

Mark Crame

:clap2: I have offered the RNLI free advertising space in the SAN, subject to availability, to date they have not taken up my offer, but the offer is still there. Several of my collegues are lifeboatmen in one way or another and I know the great work they do and they have my respect. :clap2: