Start of the river season

Anderoo

It's only a couple of weeks now and because of all the rain we've had in May, the rivers around me look unfishable! It's like last winter all over again - high water, all muddy and swirly. According to Metcheck there's plenty more to come before the 16th - I hate to say it but it's starting to look like I'll be spending opening day fishing a lake :headhurt:

My original plan was to spend the morning and early afternoon of the 16th stalking chub in the sparkling(!) water of a small stream and baiting up some swims for an (ambitious) attempt at a barbel after dark, then spending the 17th float fishing some nice slack(!), shallow weedy bays on the Thames for tench and carp. I'm gonna be gutted if I'm back on my carpy lake still fishing for those head-banging tench!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It's only a couple of weeks now and because of all the rain we've had in May, the rivers around me look unfishable! It's like last winter all over again - high water, all muddy and swirly. According to Metcheck there's plenty more to come before the 16th - I hate to say it but it's starting to look like I'll be spending opening day fishing a lake :headhurt:

My original plan was to spend the morning and early afternoon of the 16th stalking chub in the sparkling(!) water of a small stream and baiting up some swims for an (ambitious) attempt at a barbel after dark, then spending the 17th float fishing some nice slack(!), shallow weedy bays on the Thames for tench and carp. I'm gonna be gutted if I'm back on my carpy lake still fishing for those head-banging tench!

Its a nightmare! Hopefully it will have settled down nicely by the 23rd/24th when I can fish the rivers! All the water might not be so bad for the barbel and chub? It won't be nearly so fun though... :yucky:

Its a nightmare! Hopefully it will have settled down nicely by the 23rd/24th when I can fish the rivers! All the water might not be so bad for the barbel and chub? It won't be nearly so fun though... :yucky:

Maybe - although I'm not that sure there ARE any barbel! I don't think I'll bother chubbing unless the water's clear. Grrr!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sound perfect conditions to me :).

I'm gonna be gutted if I'm back on my carpy lake still fishing for those head-banging tench!

What a shame :rolleyes:

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Guest Rabbit

Dont worry the rivers are gonna be fine, actually the metcheck forecast doesn't look to bad at all for GL Gloucestershire, no deep lows like last weekend it seems. Just a few showers to keep everything nice and fresh. :thumbs:

If you fish for pike and if there are newly flooded areas along the bank, it would be worth a try.

New flooding puts water over ground that holds lots of goodies the little fish like.

Pike like areas that are holding lots of actively feeding little fish.

Perfect time and place for surface or shallow running lures and a preference for those that flash and rattle.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If you fish for pike and if there are newly flooded areas along the bank, it would be worth a try.

New flooding puts water over ground that holds lots of goodies the little fish like.

Pike like areas that are holding lots of actively feeding little fish.

Perfect time and place for surface or shallow running lures and a preference for those that flash and rattle.

That's what I like to hear

Will be going down the river on the Sunday all day to try for the pike on lures

The Severn is looking good despite the rain. Carrying a bit of extra but certainly nowhere near enough to affect the fishing. If theres six foot on come opening day there will be one very happy angler making their way to the river!

wolf.gif

OK, I'll calm down!

If there was good barbel fishing around here I'd be happy enough but I'm desperate to go chubbing - and that's not possible with the rivers like this. The Thames looks really terrible, and I know that its tributaries here will be the same (and in one case, much worse).

I'll make the best of it - maybe the Thames carp will be easier to catch...