Trailers

Sure

I was thinking of getting a little box trailer and adapting it to carry kayaks. ive got a malibu 2 xl which is really cumbersome to get on / off the roof rack. The box would be useful for gear and i could leave the yak on the trailer always ready to go.

The downside it would be quite long so towing & parking the trailer up somewhere while out on the water could be a problem.

Does anybody use or considered using a trailer? what are your thoughts?

I use one when we take both kayaks. It's an open trailer with 15 inch high sides and tailgate. The body is 12ft long, with a 4 foot A frame. Our two bilbao's fit side by side. It has a cover with elsaticated rope all the way around. It's braked, and can take a one ton load. Very handy.

If i'm going on my own, I just chuck a kayak on top of the 4x4.

I fit a wheel clamp on one wheel, a one inch thick cable lock through the other wheel and thread it through the holes in the side of the trailer frame, and a hitch lock. If the buggers can get that lot off, they can have it.

We are taking both yaks to Wales this year, so the trailer will take them plus all our gear too.

Found this on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-berth-kayak-trail...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by maidstonemike

I am looking for an 8 kayak trailer to take them about. Less drag than 2 on the roof - use less fuel towing 2 behind than 2 on roof.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I was thinking of getting a little box trailer and adapting it to carry kayaks. ive got a malibu 2 xl which is really cumbersome to get on / off the roof rack. The box would be useful for gear and i could leave the yak on the trailer always ready to go.

The downside it would be quite long so towing & parking the trailer up somewhere while out on the water could be a problem.

Does anybody use or considered using a trailer? what are your thoughts?

2nd attempt at a reply, here goes !!!

I have a box trailer that I converted to carry my 16ft outrigger canoe. I bought it from TOWSURE ( Mail order and outlets in various parts of the UK, and I think a website) it's a 5ft Box trailer,I extended the towing bar by bolting on 5 or 6 ft of 2in box section steel, and made a wooden framework to fit inside the trailer with solid shuttering ply walls front and back with a U shape cut out of both for the canoe to sit in. That leaves about 5ft of canoe sticking out of either end of the trailer.

It's ok for short journeys, which they all are in Jersey. BUT check your Traffic Laws first, before spending your hard earned.

I am looking for an 8 kayak trailer to take them about. Less drag than 2 on the roof - use less fuel towing 2 behind than 2 on roof.

here Simon

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-berth-kayak-trail...1QQcmdZViewItem

:thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I use the following lifting device together with a thule hydro glide small boat carrier, it makes loading a Malibu II XL onto my roof a one man job with ease.

http://www.aberporthholidays.co.uk/roofrunner.htm

towbar lifter

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

how about going to a caravan breakers.

you may be able to pick up an old 14 foot caravan for next to nothing...rip the caravan off it so you are left with just the chassis which you can then modify to hold the yaks...

heard of someone doing this with a bigger caravan who then modified it and used it to transport a rally car...

john

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk

I built a double decker from an Indespension trailer I bought from a mate at work for £50, it has an angle iron frame base about 5 foot long and 40 inch wide. I removed the wooden sides and bought some more angle and a 12 foot length of 2x2 box from local steel merchants, I then bolted together 2 X "rugby post" arrangements one front one back within the original base. then braced all around the top perimeter and added all the 12 foot of box from back to the front resting on top of the original drawbar, got a mate to weld it up and the pipe lagged everything, my Sidekck sits right way up on the bottom rung of the "rugby posts" with angled supports to accomodate the keel and my other half's Frenzy upside down on the top perimeter rails. The whole thing is 12 foot long and about 4 foot wide tows a dream and it means no more struggling to get the 2 Yaks onto a Defender roof, well worth it IMHO, and they are always ready to go after tightening the straps. At most car parks here you have to pay for car and same again for trailer, so I pop the number plate off and leave the trailer above the tide line on the beach! You can lock the boats to the trailer with a chain thru the scupper holes (cover the chain with bicycle inner tube) add a hitch lock to the trailer and Bobs your Aunties live in lover!

Total cost about £125 all in. ( I havent bought a hitch lock yet tho, my chain is long enough to secure it at home or chain it to a breakwater or similar....

Nike..............just do it!!

Regards

Paul