Catching Arctic Char

Gerbil0154

I know that some people might think this is off-topic, but I did check with our esteemed moderators who suggested that this forum held the most intelligent, helpfull and courteous anglers who may be able to answer my questions.

(If I dont get a reply after that intro then there is no hope!)

I am one of 3 fishing buddies who fish for Ferox, (known by some as cannibal trout). Our research has shown that their favoured bait is Char. Our problem is that the Char are every bit as difficult to catch as the Ferox.

We are told tales by fellow anglers that Char like to come near shore at certain times of the year, but no-one seems to know why or when. Does anyone know the lifecycle of these fish and the best methods and times of the year to fish for them.

We're based around the Glasgow area, but our Caravan and Boat reside 25miles north of Fort William giving us a large catchment area from which to choose. Any help will be greatly recieved.

We hope to improve on last seasons 4 doubles up to 16.5lbs.

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help but I wish you every success in catching your intriguing quarry, especially if you're hoping to improve on those weights.

Paul

I'm not local to your area so I'd like to first make sure what 'char' we are talking about.

Salvelinus alpinus alpinus aka Arctic Char, Alpine Char, Charr, and a few others.

Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Salvelinus fontinalis aka brook char, brook trout, and others.

Posted Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

or something else altogether.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Mind you after saying all that do they still commercially fish for char on Windemere and the likes? would be a source to look in to.Never really seen why they fish for them!anyone seen char on the menu in Lake District restraunts? :confused:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I spend time fishing for most species of fish. The most prolific char lochs are above ullapool. I ve had good bags of them from con ursal and a few others around there. My mate runs a fishery and he gets supplies of char from a fish farm, Im not sure which one buttry ae by dumfries , they might be able to put you right.

Thanks to all who replied. I'm chasing a stockist as suggested. It is arctic char I'm talking about and we have taken a few but all in the 3 to 4 lbs range and all by ledgering maggots in deep water. (100 to 200 feet0 These are returned.

We also operate a strict catch and return poilcy on the Ferox with the exception of the odd one on an occasional trip, when my Egyptian Sister-in-Law gets a taste for home made fish dishes for which trout seem perfect. (I know trout are probably not native to the Nile but she assures me they taste of home - go figure).

Again thanks for all the replies - most appreciated.

quote:

anyone seen char on the menu in Lake District restraunts?
Don't know if they still do now, but plenty of the waterside hotels around Windermere and Coniston used to offer them in the late eighties.

Paul

Thanks Budgie.

We fish the Awe, Arcaig, Quoich and use rainbows and lures. The point about looking for Char as bait relates to a book published on Ferox Fishing. I'll post the title and author later when I get home.

The learned professor who wrote the book has a complicated theory on the origins of the different trout species related to the Ice Age. He also alludes to the Ferox being the wolves with the Char being the sheep. (Bear with me here!). On the basis of this we managed to source some char deadbaits from a fish farm in Aberdeen. We used them on both the Quoich and the Arcaig and we noticed a big improvement in the number of hits we encountered.

Now whether the theory is true or not, we are convinced that this bait is superior to both other deadbaits and artificial lures. Unfortunately the farm in Aberdeen no longer supplies Char. This was the precursor to my original question.

If you fish the Quoich or the Arcaig at any time, you might just come across some pretty nice Ferox. Great fighting fish so tight lines and thanks.