Using Braid Over Reefs & Wrecks

mr motorola

Guest challenge
I tried that and while it did work, it also sliced through the handle covering (cork) clear down to the blank. I'm back to keeping a smooth piece of wood clipped to my belt where it will be quick to hand.

I had my piece of ebony (smooth and hard wood) on a length of twine round my neck again for easy access.

Just slip on your ratchet and slacken off your drag star and you have all the time in the world.

Regards.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my piece of ebony (smooth and hard wood) on a length of twine round my neck again for easy access.

Just slip on your ratchet and slacken off your drag star and you have all the time in the world.

Regards.

How fast are you drifting Challenge?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

How fast are you drifting Challenge?

Going on my own experience up at Whitby...........anything over 2 knots is VERY hard fishing

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

The above link has been used by my fellow club members over the last year aand has saved a lot of agro.

We do not have John's bone on the welsh trips !!!!!!! :wallbash:

If you are stuck fast and the line is already wissing off your reel say at two knots, how do you gain enough slack line to put your rod down, put your ratchet on, loosen your drag, relax, find your wooden stick. By that time 100 meters have passed and your line is still wissing out fast with no slack line gained? Now if it was say a half a knot drift it would be different and what i see a lot of skippers and mates do is gain enough slack line to wind it around the hand rail. Normally what i do is point the rod, before the skipper or mate has come over to me the job is sorted.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

If you are stuck fast and the line is already wissing off your reel say at two knots, how do you gain enough slack line to put your rod down, put your ratchet on, loosen your drag, relax, find your wooden stick. By that time 100 meters have passed and your line is still wissing out fast with no slack line gained? Now if it was say a half a knot drift it would be different and what i see a lot of skippers and mates do is gain enough slack line to wind it around the hand rail. Normally what i do is point the rod, before the skipper or mate has come over to me the job is sorted.

Hi Barry,

If you work it out, a drift of two knots equates to less than a meter per second. I would have thought it would be easy enough to deal with this once you understand the exact scenario. I have taught this method to many anglers and, once mastered, it gives them a greater confidence and control of their rod and reel in this particular situation. It’s all a matter of being in complete control of what is happening. There are many variations on this theme. Yours of pointing the rod directly at the fast then holding on tight is one of them.

Occasionally jerking and slacking your line releases the fast.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Some times if you are flying with a strong tide and wind behind getting fast can be a nightmare for the unexperienced angler if you are using braid, i had one guy today started to rap the braid round his arm which is enough to send shivers down your spine at the thought but he got it clear just in time and rapped the braid round the breaking out stick which has a covering in leather to stop the braid burning if it slips this is sure way to stop snap offs at the top and it allso means any wreck you are fishing isnt covered in lost loose braid which can be a nightmare as you can hook into a fish and get the fish clear of the wreck and then suddenly find your fish wont come any further as it has got entangled in some lost line this has happend quite a lot just recently on sea-otter 2 some fish have been lost and some have ended up in the boat often with a load of lost braid tangled round the fish.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Some times if you are flying with a strong tide and wind behind getting fast can be a nightmare for the unexperienced angler if you are using braid, i had one guy today started to rap the braid round his arm which is enough to send shivers down your spine at the thought but he got it clear just in time and rapped the braid round the breaking out stick which has a covering in leather to stop the braid burning if it slips this is sure way to stop snap offs at the top and it allso means any wreck you are fishing isnt covered in lost loose braid which can be a nightmare as you can hook into a fish and get the fish clear of the wreck and then suddenly find your fish wont come any further as it has got entangled in some lost line this has happend quite a lot just recently on sea-otter 2 some fish have been lost and some have ended up in the boat often with a load of lost braid tangled round the fish.

Winding braid around his arm, what a Rodney. Out of a boatfull of guys i am the one who has the least problem if and when i get stuck as i have found what works for me. As i have said previously very rare i would loose me leader more often then not i get all me gear back, some times with out a hook or lead. From what you post big cod it appears that you have seen problems with braid snapping. I don't remember ever loosing braid when stuck fast, again the leader at the most. I also keep me drifting gear very simple, no booms just a three way swivel, great with shads and live eels, no tangles.

Braid used drifting 20 at anchor 30 conger/ray fishing 50

Winding braid around his arm, what a Rodney. Out of a boatfull of guys i am the one who has the least problem if and when i get stuck as i have found what works for me. As i have said previously very rare i would loose me leader more often then not i get all me gear back, some times with out a hook or lead. From what you post big cod it appears that you have seen problems with braid snapping. I don't remember ever loosing braid when stuck fast, again the leader at the most. I also keep me drifting gear very simple, no booms just a three way swivel, great with shads and live eels, no tangles.

Braid used drifting 20 at anchor 30 conger/ray fishing 50

Barry had a team of lads up from the south last week they love using jellys and are not really into pirking they got got there rigs out booms etc and tackled up all ready to go and when they saw my rig which consisted of my main swivell hook straight to my lead and my shad trace on a snap swivell also hooked straight to the eye of the lead they looked suprized so dont you get tangles with that set up so i said ok lads lets just see who gets the most tangles, after about half an hour 2 out of the party had swithed to my simple rig they couldnt believe it no tangles the lads with the booms were for ever untangling a simple rig but very affective.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg