Fishing spots near Stowbridge Norfolk

rarepleasures

I'm off to Woodlakes in August, and in addition to the lakes I wanted to find suitable alternatives for the non-Carper. Google Maps show a drain running through Stowbridge which I'm thinking of trying

Anyone know of other places worth a visit ?

also suggestions what methods to fish at Stowbridge.

Ta

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

You're not far from the Ouse at Ten Mile Bank. A couple of stretches of that fish well for tench and bream in summer.

The Cut Off Channel is also nearby - reliable roach, bream and tench fishing as long as it isn't covered in weed come August, which can sometimes happen.

The Relief Channel can fish well for roach and bream, again close to Woodlakes.

All three are fishable on a King's Lynn AA day ticket, more info on their website on these and other waters: King's Lynn AA

If you want to fish a still water Reepham Fishery is just the job! AND they have some pretty unusual hybrids!!

I have just come back from a weeks fishing there.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

If you want to fish a still water Reepham Fishery is just the job! AND they have some pretty unusual hybrids!!

I have just come back from a weeks fishing there.

Bit far from where we're staying this time but looks a lovely place.

Woodlakes has 5 lakes. I've only fished the main one with my Carper in-laws last year, so I'll switch to others this time, but was hoping for one day out fishing something different.

Tony

tis a nice place we have stayed there .....the lake froze on our second day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

was it because your frigid nursey ,no surely not

nice to see you again typingly speaking :thumbs:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I lobbed a few suggestions in (see above...) mostly within a few miles.

I got onto KLAA and they suggest just down from the Heron at Stowbridge. A morning fishing followed by a pub lunch. Somes perfect :-)

Tony

I grew up a stone's throw from Stow Bridge, and fished Woodlakes a fair bit as a kid. In fact that's where I first went fishing with my Dad, and where I caught my first ever fish (a beautiful, bristing little perch)! I haven't been there for along time now.

The big lake used to be home to the serious carpers, and the other three were mixed fisheries. The large lake at the other end of the complex was a gorgeous, gin-clear trout lake, where I learnt to cast a fly, and eventually caught my first trout. (The owner tipped a load of carp into it after that, and it turned into another muddy lake with bivvies around it :schmoll: .)

If the 3 other coarse lakes (I was never brave enough to fish the big one!) were quiet I used to wander around stalking carp with float-fished luncheon meat or floating crust. In the '2-pole' lake most people would cast to the islands, but there were lots of fish very close in around the reed beds, if you were quiet. The 's-pit' was all wiggly with loads of lovely overgrown nooks and crannies, ideal for stalking. The other one at the back (can't remember its name) was more open so I fished that one less.

Float fished maggots would catch a good mixed bag. I don't know if they've put loads more carp in there now, though.

Aside from Woodlakes, you've got absolutely loads of great fishing around, nearly all on the KLAA book (day tickets on the bank, if anyone comes round - about £3.50 I think). The river Wissey at Hilgay is a wonderful little river teeming with fish - trot maggots, bread or hemp/tares for good roach, bream, perch, chub, dace, gudgeon (lots of pike too). There's also the cut-off channel at Hilgay, excellent for pole fishing or feeder for tench, bream, roach and zander if you fancy it. (Use worm for bream and tench.) Where you mention The Heron, that's the relief channel - and if you haven't seen it before it's a daunting expanse of water! Not easy either, but there are good roach and bream with occasional tench (and some big zander and pike if you're lucky). Float fish just off the shelf with maggot or bread for best chances.

Wish I was going! Good luck :thumbs:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The big lake used to be home to the serious carpers, and the other three were mixed fisheries. The large lake at the other end of the complex was a gorgeous, gin-clear trout lake, where I learnt to cast a fly, and eventually caught my first trout. (The owner tipped a load of carp into it after that, and it turned into another muddy lake with bivvies around it :schmoll: .)

The large lake that runs alongside the road now has holiday lodges along the roadside bank, its Carp and Bream with a few Perch and large shoals of small Roach. The one that's now at the back - the one with the island at the far end is still gin clear but almost complete unfished since they got rid of the caravans.

Should have kept the Trout.

Tony