A few highlights of our Scottish trip

Vagabond

My first blackmouthed catshark

Posted Image

A new PB skate at 202 lb

Posted Image

..and a very enjoyable barbie

Next year we will have cod and chips all round as a fish course - I have located a suitable source

Posted Image

[ 08. June 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

great meeting you and norma the other day dave heres one for your memories when you met miss tack4 and littletack4 and they met Anglers net's very own Santa Claus

Posted Image

shhhh..... dont tell anyone that kyle(littletack4) found that doggie on the shore

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Dave,Norma, Glad you had a good time up here.....It was good to see you both again. Pics are as usual, very good...specially the chippie ..... :D:D

Whats this I hear about "travellers" ???? in the pub to see Snatcher ??? :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Yes Norrie thats what the quote was "dad says can you come to the pub because there are a couple of travellers to see you"

It was a great meeting you and Norma on my caravan park the other day. I see you have met the whole tack squad,the 2 younguns are crackin kids,not too sure about their dad though

Did you manage to fish any of those spots I marked on the map for you and more to the point did you catch anything? Seen you on the Saturday morning driving up the main street in Drummore in the general direction of the end of the Mull.

The quote I gave you "Gods Country", do you think I was near the mark or is that OTT because I am biased

Anyway it was a pleasure meeting you and I hope we meet up again in the not too distant future. The kettle is always on (or beer in the fridge) at Clashwhannon :cool:

[ 09. June 2005, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Snatcher ]

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Cheers Snatcher - we fished just three tides - Saturday night in pouring rain at south end of N E Bay (two flounders)

Sunday we fished morning tide at Terally (where we met the Tacks) and evening at north end of N E but could not improve on the flounders - the flat calm didn't help - I prefer a bit of surf for bass. In retrospect we should have crossed over to Port Logan that day.

Monday, as we left, the wind had gone SE and a surf was coming in at NE Bay - would have liked to fish it, but we had arranged otherwise. Glad Tack got his bass - we should have stayed that extra day :rolleyes: - but NEXT year.........

On the Saturday morning when you saw us, we were on our way to the Mull to allow Norma to do some bird-watching - saw (amongst many other sea-birds) some puffins.

Saw enough good fishing marks to want to return - especially for some rock fishing.

If there was too little wind when we were shore fishing it made up for it during our three days boat fishing.

Enjoyed a days pollack fishing with the "On Yer Marks" outfit - in "Going West", skippered by Spike.

But first catch your bait...... Norma got three herring and a sand eel on the feathers, but mackerel were hard to come by.

Eventually we "borrowed" some mackerel from Ian's boat (who had found a decent mackerel shoal and filled a bucket or three) and went float fishing for the pollack with mackerel strip. Great sport! Norma got a PB 6 lb pollack and we had several others over 5. This was in a force 4/5 with lashing rain most of the day. Spike, our skipper, described it as "a slow day" so with 3 dozen pollack caught on a "slow" day, we would like to go back on a good one !

The two days tope fishing were disappointing, in that a SW Force 8 forecast for the Irish Sea meant we could not get out to the Scares rocks, but had to stay in New England Bay, with wind against tide making bait presentation difficult - the wind was stronger than the tide, so the boat was blown uptide, and our baits were washed back towards the anchor! Three boats, in two days, got just one tope - but that one was not in our boat.

However, we amused ourselves with whiting, grey gurnards and a 12 lb conger whilst waiting for the tope runs that never came.

We would like to try again and hope for conditions more conducive to tope next time.

[ 09. June 2005, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Will be posting up the date for Snatchers week 2006 shortly. Not fancy some of the action next year Vagabond?

Catch you both later and tight lines :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy