Trawlermen BBC NEW PROGRAME STARTS 18 JUNE

CLICKER

Cod is it a endangered species?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. yes

• no

I accept Toeraq that anglers can have a localised affect on a stock but i would hope those wrecks cleaned out of pollock would replenish themselves over not too long a time. Our commercial rod and line fishermen finished years ago as they could not make it pay.It must be frustrating for pleasure anglers seeing this going on. When the cocentrations of fish are thinned out they will pack up presumably? One thing though its better than netting the wrecks.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is ol' Malcolm Maclaren still kicking around then? Do spill the beans... :lol:

Hi Sandtiger Malcome came fishing with the tv crew and myself and I got on very well with him.On coming aboard he cried who is in charge her, to which I replied that I WAS AND HE WOULD DO AS HE WAS TOLD. This was the wrong thing to say to a person like Mr Maclaren.A day later he got his own back and was taken away by film crew and never seen again

quote from sunday times

clicker is a compact and powerfull looking man and the ejection was as swift as a hangman at the gallows.

Have you met Malcome Sandpiper

Barry - I would suspect the cornish charterboats are commercially licensed to provide an income in winter when they don't get many tourists, much the same as most of the CI charter boats.

As to angers decimating stocks, they do have an effect. We now have 2 or 3 boats rod&line wrecking over here, targetting pollack for the french market. They're landing 150-300kg of gutted pollack per rod per day most days. I know of at least one wreck that's been 'cleaned out' this summer already. Pollack quotas for <10m were raised to 7 tonnes per month earlier in the year to compensate for the lack of cod quota, however they're now back down to 3 tonnes. Cod will be 50kg per month for the rest of the year I guess, and there may even be a full closure of the fishery. By the way, a mate and I had a box of cod the sunday before last - that's half the monthly quota for an <10m boat! - Oh, the average size is not increasing here, 'cos they were all <10lb. Certainly a charterboat can land more in a day than a commercial boat, and that is where the whole licensing system is screwed up.

Hi Toerag, hope all is well, In hindsight that is what i thought he was referring to. I am aware that any thing in the sw past weymouth does slow down considerably in the winter months, but personally i have not been on a duel purpose boat. If i'm lucky i would say that i could do six pollack trips per year, mainly in the spring for obvious reasons.

To fish commercially rod and line is a lot different to the rsa guys, commercially they do it for a living, as you well know. For the rsa point of view it would be very intensive if there was more than say twenty trips per year and that would be for a great diversity of fishing in the channel, that is why i say the rsa would not have a significant impact on the stock. So would you say that the wreck in question has been cleaned out by rsa or commercially, from what you are saying it is commercial anglers to feed the french market. My other concern is now we see more and more that the wrecks are being targeted by commercial anglers is that because of rich pickings or is the fishing elsewhere slowing down. For a rsa point of view i would again say that over the period of one year in all probability they would only get it right with regards to catching as apposed to fishing no more than say ten times a year or we all could take up commercial fishing. I know i would. I haven't managed to take any fish from the channel isles this year, bloody weather.

Refering to quota the cod fishing quota has been reached this year already. this is why it appears to be screwed up, although the stock appears to be in the sea at present, defra are trying to keep it there. Personally i don't like the quota system, i think there is other options that aught to be explored.

Guernsey sea fishing is kicking off in the press at the mo. More to come no doubt.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge
Hi challenge the trawlermen shows in reality the working of a trawler and the dangers that go with it. I think the next trawlermen 2 will make better viewing than the last one with bigger viewing figures for the bbc. This can only help put fish on the menus in homes in the uk and hopefully the public on the fishermens sides as for cod and pollock leave them to the south side of the border and I,LL TAKE THE HADDOCK AND LANGUSTEEN or prawn.

clicker

Thanks for that cliker; I look forward to another interesting and entertaining series.

I worked in the industry and I could not fault the last one. There are plenty on here who not see it that way.

The British public seamed to of enjoyed the last one so let’s hope that this one has the same affect.

All the best and keep her east regards.

And the commercial propergander machine keeps on going!

Of course it keeps on going commercial fishermen need to sell their product like everyone else does

and the trawlermen programe helpsin a big way. Whats your views on my questions asked at the start of this forum.Just been looking at some catches at WHITBY by anglers and charter vessels and the catches of cod are impressive.The needless slaughter is not. We cannot go on ripping cod out of the sea like this any longer untill SSB is higher. It just goes to show that anglers are now PROBABLY the biggest catchers of cod in the UK. restrictions on the sale of fish, and quotas are in place for registered vessels and they must abide by the rules of the PO they are in. Unregistered vessels need to be restricted also along with anglers on bag limits it happens ashore so why not on sea fishing charter vessels.

We cannot go on ripping cod out of the sea like this any longer untill SSB is higher. It just goes to show that anglers are now PROBABLY the biggest catchers of cod in the UK. restrictions on the sale of fish, and quotas are in place for registered vessels and they must abide by the rules of the PO they are in. Unregistered vessels need to be restricted also along with anglers on bag limits it happens ashore so why not on sea fishing charter vessels.

Agree with the start of this quote, in particular to try and get the breeding biomass to a healthy size. However there is only one or two rsa boats in britain set up to bring loads of fish (cod) in. They are in a region that supports the use of multi rigs to pull in more than one at a time. Cannot see the point in changing the current uk law to target such a small amount of boats and they are within the uk law. Much the same as the commercial boat altaire, that is geared up to absolutly clear a herring or mackerel shoal, but it is within the uk law, most times.

The majority of rsa rigs are one line one bait and as such are not in a position to rip fish out, other wise commercial will be using this method on a bigger scale. Rsa cod fishing appears to be concentrated in a small region of the north sea. All along the channel for example there is too much of a diversity to concentrate on one specis fortunatly. The only time that it is worth concentrating on cod fishing in the channel for example is during the winter run of fish. The rsa will be very lucky indeed to catch very many cod over this period, the netters do. The last time i had worthy cod was over two years ago and this was not for the want of trying, however the weather beats us more than often during that time. So that is the rsa restriction. Therefore you can't really legislate for that, not worth it.

The only time in the channel for example that the fishing is so called non-stop is in the summer where the rsa are out amongst the wrecks. Even so on a very good trip personally i have caught say twenty in one trip, very rare. When that does i would share this with the others on the boat who are invaribly less fortunate. This also would be a mixture of fish as you would again be very lucky if the fish was all one specis. We always move to a few wrecks. Years ago it was fashionable to use pirks (rippers) in the channel, this would only happen in the summer months so you were lucky to do more than say three trips per year, with the advent of shads and jellies no one really uses them now, too much hard work. This spring personally i was very lucky and caught ten over double figures, yes the fillets went home, at the moment my freezer is nearly empty. It is only due to giving some to mates and enjoying the rest in the pan, how could you restrict that and for what purpose. I might even have to go and buy some fish in the shop before i can get out again. The next time these fish will be targeted is in the autumn as the rsa move to other specis at this time of the year. Again this is off topic for that i apologise.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

It's now a requirement that EU countries submit a return of the amount of cod (and salmon, probably bass to be added too quite soon ) caught by the 'recreational sector'.

(in some other EU countries, the 'recreational sector' is mainly 'hobby netting' with some angling thrown in, so they are monitoring the significance of the total 'recreational' catch, including angling)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

It's now a requirement that EU countries submit a return of the amount of cod (and salmon, probably bass to be added too quite soon ) caught by the 'recreational sector'.

(in some other EU countries, the 'recreational sector' is mainly 'hobby netting' with some angling thrown in, so they are monitoring the significance of the total 'recreational' catch, including angling)

Can you set this up in the political topics Leon.