Trawlermen BBC NEW PROGRAME STARTS 18 JUNE

CLICKER

Cod is it a endangered species?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. yes

• no

To fish commercially rod and line is a lot different to the rsa guys, commercially they do it for a living, as you well know. For the rsa point of view it would be very intensive if there was more than say twenty trips per year and that would be for a great diversity of fishing in the channel, that is why i say the rsa would not have a significant impact on the stock. So would you say that the wreck in question has been cleaned out by rsa or commercially, from what you are saying it is commercial anglers to feed the french market. My other concern is now we see more and more that the wrecks are being targeted by commercial anglers is that because of rich pickings or is the fishing elsewhere slowing down. For a rsa point of view i would again say that over the period of one year in all probability they would only get it right with regards to catching as apposed to fishing no more than say ten times a year or we all could take up commercial fishing. I know i would. I haven't managed to take any fish from the channel isles this year, bloody weather.

Barry - the commercial rod and line has taken off due to demand for 'line caught' fish, and the higher price they command, if the price wasn't so good it wouldn't be worht doing. Apparently top quality Pollack fetches as high as £5 per kilo in late summer in Cherbourg, which is verging on bass prices. The wreck in question has been pretty much cleaned out by the commercial guys as that's all they're doing, and there aren't many recreational anglers wrecking from here these days due to fuel costs and stingy charter skippers.

I would also say that the 150-300kilo per day figure is being taken using a 3 hook rig (I've seen them working the same wrecks as me) - so a charter could conceivably take 3 or 4 times that amount with 9-12 guys on single hook rigs. I've certainly taken 100kilos on my own using a single hook.

As to your definition of intensive - Don't forget that the charter boats will be out every day that the commercial guys are, and there's a lot more charterboats fishing from Plymouth, Dartmouth and Exmouth than there are rod&line commercials, and if they only get it right 10 times a year then I wouldn't waste my money on charters!! Certainly Gemini 2 seems to do well every single week judging by the pics on the fishingdartmouth site.

As to wreck netting - someone saw the netter that works the channel between Plymouth, Guernsey & Weymouth haul his net on a productive wreck on the last set of neaps - there were about 22 fish in it - mostly a mix of cod & pollack, with 1 ling.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry - the commercial rod and line has taken off due to demand for 'line caught' fish, and the higher price they command, if the price wasn't so good it wouldn't be worht doing. Apparently top quality Pollack fetches as high as £5 per kilo in late summer in Cherbourg, which is verging on bass prices. The wreck in question has been pretty much cleaned out by the commercial guys as that's all they're doing, and there aren't many recreational anglers wrecking from here these days due to fuel costs and stingy charter skippers.

I would also say that the 150-300kilo per day figure is being taken using a 3 hook rig (I've seen them working the same wrecks as me) - so a charter could conceivably take 3 or 4 times that amount with 9-12 guys on single hook rigs. I've certainly taken 100kilos on my own using a single hook.

As to your definition of intensive - Don't forget that the charter boats will be out every day that the commercial guys are, and there's a lot more charterboats fishing from Plymouth, Dartmouth and Exmouth than there are rod&line commercials, and if they only get it right 10 times a year then I wouldn't waste my money on charters!! Certainly Gemini 2 seems to do well every single week judging by the pics on the fishingdartmouth site.

As to wreck netting - someone saw the netter that works the channel between Plymouth, Guernsey & Weymouth haul his net on a productive wreck on the last set of neaps - there were about 22 fish in it - mostly a mix of cod & pollack, with 1 ling.

Hi Toerag, the point i am trying to get across regarding the skills of the rsa is that no boat charter is the same, you can't say all the rsa are equall. To do really well the charter boat has to have a crew of competant wreckers on board, that envaribly don't happen. I have been on board loads of times drifting over the wrecks when i have seen loads of the guys struggling not to loose the gear let alone catch. Some times however all is well and the boat would have a good day, but the competant guys can only target those fish so many time in a year. Very rare i would see guys on a boat use multiple rigs. There was a fad using pirks and feathers, mainly it is now shads and jellies. Personally i would be very lucky to say target pollack ten times a year, how many would a commercial do, that is where i say there is a differance and don't forget the commercial guys are a lot better at it than the likes of myself. One netting boat could do many wrecks in a day.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge

Hope that you are enjoying the program as much as I am? I don’t think you could get a more efficient way of catching your mackerel than the way that those Tate brothers did it.

One haul and in. massive investments in a fishing that if properly managed and policed proves that modern technology in the fishing industry can play a big part in looking after the environment that they take such large amounts of fish out of.

Great bunch of lads doing something that they love.

Look forward to the rest of it.

How can anyone justify hoovering up 500 TON'S of fish in one trawel of the net

and yet the powers that be let this carry on

IMOP i think after watching a whole shoal of fish hoovered up from the sea in one netting is absolutley disgusting those fish were migrating for what purpose i am unsure - was it for the purpose of spawning if so they not only pillaged the sea of a breeding stock but also hoovered up future stock

remember this was just one trip to sea how many times does this boat go to sea each year ?

the sea cannot sustaine this sort of fishing on a global scale

yet the government seem hell bent on chastising RSA with licenses and possibly bag limits because they say we have an adverse effect on the fish stock

I have seen other post's on here where RSA have had a good catch and other members have seen fit to chastise them for it

how long would it take for RSA in the whole country to catch that amount of fish ?

Perhaps after tonights program they will have a rethink and look at the real cause of over fishing and poor fish stock's

I was shocked to see that haul, some big ones in there as well. How can you justify sustainable when an entire shoal is being removed in one sweep? What is done with 500ton of mackerel? the prcessing maching was topping and tailing them all (not very closely either) so they can't be for humans to buy off the shelf, is it all turing into fertiliser etc?

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Hope that you are enjoying the program as much as I am? I don’t think you could get a more efficient way of catching your mackerel than the way that those Tate brothers did it.

One haul and in. massive investments in a fishing that if properly managed and policed proves that modern technology in the fishing industry can play a big part in looking after the environment that they take such large amounts of fish out of.

Great bunch of lads doing something that they love.

Look forward to the rest of it.

In the real world it does not happen like that Challenge. Take the altaire it takes half of all the allowed mackerel quota in the uk per year. but has the capability to take much more, and they have in the past been caught for it. They don't want some of it they want all and they will get it given half a chance. I ask how many times they have got away with not being caught. Defra are not strong enough nor are the sfc or mfa . At present our fish stock is not properly managed although it costs the ratepayers 100 mil per year. As it happens the program is brill.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge
How can anyone justify hoovering up 500 TON'S of fish in one trawel of the net

and yet the powers that be let this carry on

IMOP i think after watching a whole shoal of fish hoovered up from the sea in one netting is absolutley disgusting those fish were migrating for what purpose i am unsure - was it for the purpose of spawning if so they not only pillaged the sea of a breeding stock but also hoovered up future stock

remember this was just one trip to sea how many times does this boat go to sea each year ?

the sea cannot sustaine this sort of fishing on a global scale

yet the government seem hell bent on chastising RSA with licenses and possibly bag limits because they say we have an adverse effect on the fish stock

I have seen other post's on here where RSA have had a good catch and other members have seen fit to chastise them for it

how long would it take for RSA in the whole country to catch that amount of fish ?

Perhaps after tonights program they will have a rethink and look at the real cause of over fishing and poor fish stock's

They are only allowed to catch what they are allowed to catch. They caught there quota in one haul. Where do you get this hover business from? They caught there fish in a net, they where fishing for pelagic fish there fore they where fishing mid water. There is no such thing as a hover or fishermen hovering up the sea bed as lots of you poorly informed critics like to think. They use a suction method to get the fish from the net into the boat. This makes easier work of handling the fish and keeps the fish in pristine condition. A condition that the massive world wide demand for mackerel insist on.

interesting to see the other skipper panic on a random check as he hadn't been keeping his log book. I know times get busy but that happens in all industries and we all have to keep proper logs.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

They are only allowed to catch what they are allowed to catch. They caught there quota in one haul. Where do you get this hover business from? They caught there fish in a net, they where fishing for pelagic fish there fore they where fishing mid water. There is no such thing as a hover or fishermen hovering up the sea bed as lots of you poorly informed critics like to think. They use a suction method to get the fish from the net into the boat. This makes easier work of handling the fish and keeps the fish in pristine condition. A condition that the massive world wide demand for mackerel insist on.

You are talking about one big factory ship here Challenge. It is too big for our waters and also our stock. We do not have the stock to supply a world wide demand. Carry on like this and there will be a big dent in the food chain. They use a suction because there are too many fish in the net to haul it. You are correct in saying it is not for the uk market, all we see on the superstores are mackerel that have been frozen for weeks and look like sh...t.

Edited by barry luxton

Guest challenge
In the real world it does not happen like that Challenge. Take the altaire it takes half of all the allowed mackeral quota in the uk per year. but has the capability to take much more, and they have in the past been caught for it. They don't want some of it they want all and they will get it given half a chance. I ask how many times they have got away with not being caught. Defra are not strong enough nor are the sfc or mfa . At present our fish stock is not properly managed although it costs the ratepayers 100 mil per year. As it happens the program is brill.

So are you saying that those Tate brothers have been up in court for exceeding there quota then? If they have when? Or are you finding them guilty by association? Them being associated to fishermen and them being fishermen themselves must mean that they are all guilty? Bit like saying that because the west midlands special crime squad was corrupt and guilty (proven in court) and later dispended. Then all police in this country at least must be corrupt? Or at least as corrupt and guilty as they where?

regards.

Edited by challenge