Trawlermen BBC NEW PROGRAME STARTS 18 JUNE

CLICKER

Cod is it a endangered species?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. yes

• no

I've looked around a few times and I can't find any reference to stock problems before the change from schooners to trawlers.

Well I soon found this bit and I have seen others.

The third period lasted from 1660 to 1713 and was the period of Anglo-French rivalry within the Island itself. Until 1659 France claimed sovereignty over parts of Newfoundland but, developing her colonies on the mainland and in the West Indies, did not formally plant here. In 1662, however, she established a settlement in her main fishing area at Placentia and for a few years energetically promoted schemes to increase settlement. Simultaneously, the end of war in Europe saw a great revival in the French fishery which by 1675 was seriously affecting the fortunes of the English fishery. The latter were in a state of decline for the long wars and a series of disastrous fishing seasons in the 1660's had ruined the west of England merchants and captains. The old methods of fishing no longer sufficed and new ones were required. Both the settlers and visiting fishermen were ruined by the declining fishery and the latter attempted to have the settlers removed. The British government alone could decide upon this, and at first they agreed that settlement should be ended. However, they quickly changed their mind, but were unable to decide whether the Island should be formally recognised as a colony. For twenty years after 1680 the government followed a policy of having no policy and the Island was left to develop as best it could. In 1689 King William's War broke out; with an intermission between 1697 and 1701 the conflict lasted until 1713. The fighting both here and in Europe had drastic effects upon Newfoundland, and the government was forced to formulate some kind of policy towards her. That policy was unworkable, but the war obscured this to some degree. In 1713, by the Treaty of Utrecht, France ceded her colony on the south coast to England and admitted Engish sovereignty over the entire Island. However, she obtained certain fishing rights along parts of the coast and the French Shore problem began its wearying course. The war had also obscured fundamental changes within the fishery which were changing the old division between settlers and migratory fishermen, bringing them together under the West Country merchants.

Newfoundland underwent a new series of adaptations within the English fishery between 1713 and 1763. English settlement expanded into the south coast and as far up as Fogo and Twillingate. The fishery continued to be poor until the late 1720's but the need for men to move into the newly ceded south coast resulted in the beginnings of large scale Irish emigration to Newfoundland with enormous effects upon its future history. Men found that the attempt to divide the Island into an area monopolised by the English and another shared between them and the French created much friction. The French had lost their best fishing grounds, their competition in Europe gradually diminished, and from 1730 onwards the English fishery began to prosper well. The English soon developed a thriving bank fishery which, together with the bye-boat keepers, formed the backbone of the migratory English fishery, causing not only its revival but a steady expansion by 1750.

It was an era when the merchants of London withdrew from the fishery which was now almost monopolised by merchants and fishermen of the west of England. After 1748 the population began to rise steadily. During the Seven Year's War (1756-1763), English fishermen for the first time learned of the rich fishing grounds along the Northern Peninsula and even more important grounds on the Labrador. The British government was forced by increasing population to introduce a rudimentary civil government and there was an end to discord between the settlers and the visiting fishermen. The Seven Year's War resulted in the English conquest of Canada and laid the conditions for an even larger expansion in Newfoundland after 1763.

and a series of disastrous fishing seasons in the 1660's had ruined the west of England merchants and captains. The old methods of fishing no longer sufficed and new ones were required. Both the settlers and visiting fishermen were ruined by the declining fishery and the latter attempted to have the settlers removed.

The fishery continued to be poor until the late 1720's

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say tonights programe was boring apart from two halibut, there was nothing controversial in it.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Jaffa, response to your question re entire shoal...

That's what the skipper was saying, they had the sounder on screen and he was explaining the bit which was the net and where the shoal was, you could see the net as a solid and the shape of the shoal slowly vanishing as the screen turned to net only, the producer (or whoever) kept it on screen as the net closed about the shoal to which the skipper declared the fish caught and net ready to haul. Just repeating what I saw. Interesting series to watch and I hope they continue to show it.

the catch was sold for £200k ( I think?). Wish I could gross that much money in a few days.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

What happened to posts 97 to 100?

there on my screen Wurzel, two of yours and two of Colin W

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

there on my screen Wurzel, two of yours and two of Colin W

Thanks barry

Weren't on mine, then when I pressed reply to you they appeared again, very stange not to worry sorry for the interuption.

I fish to live and live to fish.

As I could not sleep I read through this interesting thread :rolleyes:

Aaaaahh TV!!

Are you saying (if you’re saying anything at all that is) that some commercial spin doctor sponsored by the commercial fishing industry commissioned the BBC to do this programme?

More than likely YES :D:D In a round about way. Some producer seeing viewing figures for the "Crab Gang" thought "What a jolly good idea" with that sent some lackey of to find information on UK commercial fishing.

Lackey taps on door and commercial rep sees magic opportunity to sell product.

Like any other TV it has to entertain the millions, not just a handful. You can bet your last cent that more film went into the bin than appeared on TV. Why? because in the view of the editor it was bloody boring.

And because said editor has done good job we have this sort of comment.

Just seen the ist episode of the new series and i thought it was superb television.

Followed by a more apt comment.

So all TV programs on the sea, or the ports or coastline etc are of great interest to me even if I do not agree with everything that they show

Other small observation:

Fishmeal plants take heads and tails as its all the same to them : So the odds of spending cash and going to the effort and expense of topping and taililng f sh before sending them to the fishmeal plant are?

Canned mackerel are always without head and tail, as is smoked or peppered. :rolleyes::D:D

As for the gist of the thread,

"It is not an argument that can be proved either way until it is to late."
by KD

God now I'm yawning must be time for bed. :rolleyes::D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Hello Clicker

Getting back to your original question.

I don't think cod are endangered, never were never will be.

I doubt fishing effort has much effect on a species like cod, the TAC for UK is about the spawning potential of one large fish, natural elements have more effect on the fluctuations in stock levels.

There is a huge difference in uneconomical stock size and endangered.

Fisheries management has grown into a massive industry made up of EU Commission ,DEFRA (mfa) Scientists, Greens (NGO's) PO'S and independent quota traders even fishermen’s representatives such as the Regional Advisory Councils (RAC's), there are probably lots more I can't think of at the moment

all keeping the pot boiling to feather their own nest. It is a parasite industry that has grown twice the size of it's host the fishing industry but it is continuing to suck the life out of it , DEFRA know there is not much life left so are looking for a new host and have settled on the RSA and it won't be long before they start feeding.

I enjoy watching the Trawler men same as I do John Wilson or Matt Hayes.

The stars of the Trawler men are the elite, they are premier league, not only are they very good fishermen but even better business men, they are the ones who defra can't touch, probably already wealthy and able to add to considerable track records with quota bought from decommissioned boats,

they will survive no matter what and bloody good luck to them, but it's a different story for the rest of us.

Hi thanks been away for a few days thanks for getting everybody back in line I could,nt agreemore with you comments apart from the defra can,t touch comment .fishermen today are under big brother tactics with every vessel being tracked every second.Quotas now are adherd to with licenceing of fishing vessels and first time buyers.Are cod under threat after seeing big cods reports I DON,T THINK SO!but they still need to be protected and if that means zero catches so be it . I still think we need to know the amount of fish landed needs to be recorded.That includes all charter vessels that ilegally sell cod without being registered fishing vessels. Looking through the web i see charter vessels with boxes of cod and I was not aware that you could not keep what you catch.Are these vessels although not registered alowed to sell the fish anglers catch?

Trawlermen has been a great advert for all fishermen at least there are 150 boxes of fish to catch and 500 tons of mackerel in 1 haul and loads of prawns fishing will survive after all the controls and licensing hopefully to all stakeholders including anglers.

regards

How can anyone justify hoovering up 500 TON'S of fish in one trawel of the net

and yet the powers that be let this carry on

IMOP i think after watching a whole shoal of fish hoovered up from the sea in one netting is absolutley disgusting those fish were migrating for what purpose i am unsure - was it for the purpose of spawning if so they not only pillaged the sea of a breeding stock but also hoovered up future stock

remember this was just one trip to sea how many times does this boat go to sea each year ?

the sea cannot sustaine this sort of fishing on a global scale

yet the government seem hell bent on chastising RSA with licenses and possibly bag limits because they say we have an adverse effect on the fish stock

I have seen other post's on here where RSA have had a good catch and other members have seen fit to chastise them for it

how long would it take for RSA in the whole country to catch that amount of fish ?

Perhaps after tonights program they will have a rethink and look at the real cause of over fishing and poor fish stock's

Just to reply to you comments they catch 500 tons of fish because they can, and have the quota to do it by either alloction from producer organisation or the purchase for quota at considerable cost. nothing illegal about the type of fishing Taits do.These type of boat with fish for 2 weeks at herring and maybe only 4 weeks at mackerel Then the fishing boat lies in harbour untill new quota is allocated.

Goverment is trying to protect cod and find out whats being landed commercialyand by charter vessels this is surely only correct. As for rethinking thats just what this goverment has being doing on fisheries for many years.Looking around angling sites I see vasts amounts of fish at Whitby landed by anglers for only 4 hours fishing.

regards