King Prawns for Perch?

Park Lane Perch

Hi All,

I will start the season targetting Chub and Perch on my local River Blackwater and wanted to know your unusual baits for catching these species.

As a 4lb Perch was reported in the Angling times on King Prawn I wondered if anyone out there has succeeded with them.

Only one day to go YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!

Thanks - Dave

Prawns certainly work for perch but I really think using king prawns is going overboard. Regular frozen prawns are perfectly acceptable. King prawns indeed. That's just snobbery....lol.... :rolleyes:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Prawns certainly work for perch but I really think using king prawns is going overboard. Regular frozen prawns are perfectly acceptable. King prawns indeed. That's just snobbery....lol.... :rolleyes:

They love crayfish so I don't see why not! However I'd like a moving bait.

Edit *In fact come to think of it I used to feed my pet perch prawns but they tended to ignore bits on the bottom prefering bits falling through the water.*

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

This is a really interesting idea...wobbled king prawns in waters that are crawling with crays...hmmmmm! I think I'll give that a go in the autumn.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Try to get hold of some raw freshwater kingprawns (sold reasonably cheaply in my local chinese supermarket) and go for it.

As said, they should work well on fish that are eating crays on a regular basis.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi All,

Eels 2 King Prawns 0 was the final result. The take from the first Eel was electrifying to say the least with myself just managing to grab the rod before it disappeared into the water. The strange thing about it was the Eel only went around the pound mark.

I don't think the weather conditions helped as usually dusk and the first hour of darkness are quite good with the Fairy Liquid tops flying around.

Even the usually extrovert Chub were having none of it on their favourite Cathedral City cheese.

If your reading this Matt I was fising at the Whetmead Nature Reserve in Witham e-mail me for more details.

Tight Lines- Dave B

P.S Where can I get hold of an equivalent of the old Fairy Liquid tops? I saw some at a boot sale once and a bloke there wanted fifty pence each!!!!

Perch can be taken at almost any depth but it's worth noting that perch are often found, shoaling at the same depth. This is why I normally suggest using a depth adjustable float setup for locating them. Changing depth and recasting might sound like a lot of work but perch are usually quick to take a bait offered in front of them, so you don't have to spend long waiting for a bite at each depth you try. I'd try fishing 2 feet under a float, cast and wait for 2 minutes, change to 3 feet and so on. It shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes to work out the most productive depth to fish at and it should remain so for some time. I believe they're not too efficient at adjusting the buoyancy of their swim-bladder, so they're not for changing depth to take a bait if it's more than a few feet either way.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...