Gearing up. Gps or fishfinder

stevem

Hi all

I am new to kayak fishing and am gearing up for this season, I am thinking of buying a gps or fishfinder but can't decide which to buy first. Can't really afford both just yet.

I am thinking safety first and am swaying towards the gps however I don't plan to venture too far from the shore until I've got some miles under my belt, so maybe the fishfinder will get more use.

Any thoughts?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I'd get the finder. I haven't bothered with GPS yet - haven't felt any need for it. That said I don't go out very far anyway, and if you aren't going out far until the future that'll give you time to save up. Just carry a compass and an anchor. I'm getting VHF next.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

GPS

I have both, and actually unrigged my fishfinder as I rarely use it.

The GPS allows me to record grid reference of offshore hot spots. Also when the sea fog rolls in or if you end up in a strong rip you will appreciate the GPS. Gives you location and also your paddling speed.

Compass may find me land in such situations but the GPS will allow me to paddle in safely to the slip / or beach rather than onto the rocks.

Also nice afterwards to see distance paddled, avergae speed etc. I paid £50 for a Garmin (USA trip) or I think they are about £90 - £100 here last time I looked.

For inshore bass fishing I can't see any need for a fishfinder. Most of my Bass are taken between the lowtide and high tide mark as the tide pushes in. Go and have a look at lowtide and you will be told all you need to know.

I'd probably get GPS before a fish finder as it is useful as pav says as an aid to safety apart from being able to log the fishy hotspots, however if you haven't got a VHF radio already i'd get one of those before either the GPS or fish finder, safety equipment should be no.1 on your list of things to buy.

why not look for a base range combined gps/FF ? They are pretty cheap these days and a lot less clutter on the Yak. My handheld gps packed up with water ingress even though it was supposed to be waterproof to ipx 7 standards, if had done it a week earlier then I would have bought a combi.

Rob

I opt to carry ;

Set of flares

GPS

Mobile phone

Extra Dry Cag

We tend to phone the coast guard also. This is really to avoid false call outs from tourists! I accept we probably look in distress feathering (could be seen as waving?!) and with paddles parked (could look like we're up the creek with no paddle!) , false call outs are then avoided.

Had never considered the radio option. Does it still require a lisence?

the radio licence is free and lasts for life now, however you still need the operators licence as well, the price for this course which lasts about 8 hours and has a test at the end varies I paid £60.00 for the course which i thought was reasonable.

Edited by snakey1