Shark Fishing

*Blaze*

Has anyone out there seriously tried to target sharks from a yak yet? I know there are definitely areas in the West country and Wales where they are in paddling range.

Do you think it can be done without a support boat? , as I see this as a bit of a cheat. It wouldn't be that hard to motor out to some where chum the sharks up, get into a yak hook one up and touch the trace, its just a case of throwing enough money at it.

To me the ultimate way would be paddle to your chosen spot carrying all your own equipment hook the fish and touch the trace and provide some photo evidence if possible.

Isn't it a shame we don't class Tope as a shark because what some you guys have achieved in in west Wales is amazing and for anyone outside the UK looking at these pictures they would class these fish as sharks.

So come on who's be first?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaze its only a matter of time before someone catches one. My recent St Albans trip was in part a recce to determine whether its worth me putting time in for one down there. Lack of fresh bait (mackeral) has put me off planning multi day trips. Realistically there are 3 main species to catch, porbeagle, blue shark and the more scarce thresher. I figure it will be sometime before all 3 are caught. I agree with your thoughts that the ultimate way is unassisted and a porgie (perhaps from Cornwall) will probably be the first species caught this way.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Well that's the $64,000 question is it not ?

I've never hooked a 'proper' shark so don't know what to expect - my first trip out for one is on the 30th courtesy of Esox Tim - in a charter.

When and IF I get to see what they behave like I will consider having a go from the yak.

I reckon even a bad tempered one would have to 'go some' to upset 3-4 yaks rafted up for stability ( safety in numbers ).

Of course it would only REALLY count if you dragged it into your lap for the mugshot :D

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Phooey I think your right saftey in numbers, as for our UK sharks Blues would be the way to go and small ones at that :) but there in lies the problem you cant pick and choose which fish takes the bait.

Has anyone on this fourm seriously targeted sharks yet?

I think who ever does it they will have to put some serious planing into thier trips for their own saftey and the welfare of the fish.

Having said that its still doable and someones going to crack it in the next year or two , its the next stage after tope. Once someone done it you guys can start fishing for the White shark that keeps turning up off North Devon every summer :thumbs:

Once someone done it you guys can start fishing for the White shark that keeps turning up off North Devon every summer :thumbs:

You could use a Yak /w angler as bait.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Phooey I think your right saftey in numbers, as for our UK sharks Blues would be the way to go and small ones at that :) but there in lies the problem you cant pick and choose which fish takes the bait.

The current thinking is if a 'tiddler' takes the bait we'll hang on for dear life and try and 'boat' it.

Anything that looks like we've just thoroughly annoyed it its a 'cut the line and every man for himself....'

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

The current thinking is if a 'tiddler' takes the bait we'll hang on for dear life and try and 'boat' it.

Anything that looks like we've just thoroughly annoyed it its a 'cut the line and every man for himself....'

Hey Phoo, what class of rod you going to be using for the porgies? Was thinking about getting a 30lb Euroboat, should the shark meet ever materialise, but would rather get the 20lb, as it would stand more chance of getting used occasionally. You think it would be up to the job?

Hey Phoo, what class of rod you going to be using for the porgies? Was thinking about getting a 30lb Euroboat, should the shark meet ever materialise, but would rather get the 20lb, as it would stand more chance of getting used occasionally. You think it would be up to the job?

i would not fancy sitting side saddle feet in the water with a angry shark about. jaws comes to mind :unsure::fishing1::fish:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Yeah you do your shark fishing and I'll view the photos,

I like my fish pan size preferably without teeth

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?