Best Fly Line

Ed Matysiak

Im no expect at casting and using a cortland 333 WF floating line doesn't help. What do you recomend for small bass, pollock, coalfish in the marina, off rockpools etc...

Maybe a WF9 sinking tip?

I'm no expert either but recently tried my hand off the rocks in Cornwall for the first time using a WF9 intermediate. My logic was that there was less chance of disturbance through wave action as the line was just below the surface but that I'd be shallow enough not to snag on rocks and week in the final stages of retreive. I got one small bass in an hour or so of fishing using a sandeel fly (see the sea forums for advice on flies). Great fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I take it you've got a 9wt rod, try the 444SL Ghost Tip, available for under £40 if you shop around, great line, turned my fishing around, remember distance isn't everything, you may be casting over the fish.

For deep water I use an Airflo Di7, quality doesn't seem to matter to much with sinking lines.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

• 2 weeks later...
I take it you've got a 9wt rod, try the 444SL Ghost Tip, available for under £40 if you shop around, great line, turned my fishing around, remember distance isn't everything, you may be casting over the fish.

For deep water I use an Airflo Di7, quality doesn't seem to matter to much with sinking lines.

SM :)

I will agree with everything you said Bar the wieght 8wt is the heavyist you will need 7wt IMO even better

If its blowing a gale in your face and you need a 9wt to get a line out Is it the best way to be fishing in the prevailing conditions? Nothing that will take a fly in the sea in the uk will over trouble a 7wt in the right hands.

Air flow sinkers are fine But dont go near the floaters.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

• 2 weeks later...