INCONSIDERATE YOUNG ANGLERS

Janet

I had a day off yesterday. The weather was pleasant, the river was dropping nicely, so what was a girl to do? Of course, I went fishing. This was my last opportunity for the next couple of weeks, so I wanted to make the most of it. I was intending to fish until the light went, but it didn't turn out that way. I needed to stay near home as I was waiting for somebody to call and may have needed to get home in a hurry, so I opted to fish in the centre of town, only a couple of minutes walk away. Not ideal, but I've never blanked in this spot. I knew I'd get a few hours of good sport, even if only greedy trout and the odd chub.

I'd only been there for an hour or so when a young lad sat down beside me. He was only a tiddler, about eight or nine, but he wasn't being a nuisance, so I was happy to let him chat away, as he was no trouble. He helped me select the wriggliest maggots to hook, asked lots of questions, threw in loose feed for me etc. I was fishing near the bridge in the middle of town, and after a while, his mum popped her head over the parapet to tell him to come home. I told her that he was welcome to stay with me if she liked, and promised to send him home at four o'clock for his tea.

All well and good so far. He stayed with me, behaving himself, and during the afternoon I answered his questions and rather enjoyed his innocent company. I gave him money for Cokes, as it was rather hot, and quite enjoyed having him around as he was so keen to learn. It was good to be able to pass on what little knowledge I had, even if it was to a kiddie. Still, that kiddie could be a future angler. He told me that he had some fishing tackle which was at his friends house, so when I sent him off home for his tea, I told him to go and collect it, ask his mum if it was ok, then come and join me so we could fish together for a little while. He was so keen, it would've been great to watch him catch something.

Bad mistake! He arrived with a couple of his friends, roughly the same age. One of them produced a telescopic rod, feeder and a tub of maggots, sat down just six feet away from me and then proceeded to cast directly across and over my line. Luckily I managed to reel in without any tangles, then I politely asked him to move further away. He just looked at me as if I was mad, and totally ignored me. I gave him a couple of minutes, then asked him again to please reel in and move so I could carry on fishing. Result! Yes? No. it wasn't! He reeled in, filled the feeder again while I cast my float out, then proceeded to do exactly the same again....! The ensuing tangle ended up with me losing my favourite float. I caught my very first fish with that one, so it had sentimental value! (Yes, I know, silly woman....)

I asked him (as nicely and politely as I could!) if he was deaf. He shook his head. I asked him if he understood English. He nodded. I asked if he'd understood what I'd said. Again, he just nodded. I repeated that I wanted him to stop casting over my line and he just stood there, looking at me and not saying a word. It was all rather surreal! He looked so innocent, but I'm sure now that he had 666 on his forehead....

I'd been trotting a float downstream, so I moved upstream of him thinking I'd be safer there, even though I'd have been limited to shorter runs. No chance! He just started lobbing his bloody feeder in, upstream this time, and across my line yet again! There's only a small amount of accessible bank here, although it can usually accommodate a couple of anglers, provided they respect each other's space. I had no option but to pack up and go home.

I gave him a talking-to as I left, telling him that I'd been fishing there all afternoon and was having to pack up because of his thoughtless and inconsiderate behaviour, but he just totally ignored me! I felt like I was in the twilight zone! He just looked at me with a blank expression. All the time he never said a single word.

I was SO close to just cutting his line, but unfortunately my sensible side kicked in.

I was absolutely fizzing when I left. A grown woman left totally helpless by a bloody child? I couldn't give him the clout round the lug 'ole that he deserved, or I'd no doubt have been arrested as a potential child molester. If I'd cut his line (as I now really wish I had!), I'd probably have ended up with a claim for criminal damage or worse. I was sooooo frustrated!

My question is, what would you have done under the circumstances? Was there anything I could have done apart from just give up, as I did?

Janet

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

growling at them is cheaper and giving money is a no no ,just entertain yourself by answering them with a reply that has nothing what so ever to do with the question .

that "tiddler" was probably eyeing up something in your tackle box rather than being social

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You should have kicked the little bugger in! :rolleyes:

I do sympathize, I've had both types of kid fishing nearby me - one (well, actually three) were polite and always interested in what I'd caught whenever I was bringing a fish in. I even gave them some floats when I saw they were fishing too heavy for their particular peg and helped them unhook what they'd caught. Ended up tying some barbless hooks for them too, all they had was barbed. That's the sort of kid you want to see when you go fishing, and I will always spend time advising them if needed.

Then there's the other sort - like the brat that started casting his deadbait right over my float on the Beverley Canal - to say the air went blue would be an understatement :angry: I cannot repeat what I said on here, but you can guarantee it included 'f' words, 'b' words, and even 'f'ing' 'b'ing stupid 'c' words....

He soon left :unsure:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Something in my tackle box? Not likely. I'm just new to this. There's nothing in there that anyone would want, other than my Oscar de la Renta perfume and my hand cream......

I'm sure the first lad was totally genuine. He was a real little love, and I'd be delighted to look after him any time. He was SO keen to learn. It's just his obnoxious mate that proved to be a problem.

I'd love to growl at them, but don't want to be tooooooo scary! And I can do REALLY scary if I like!

Janet

You should have kicked the little bugger in!

Yes. I think I should have, but I'm constrained by trying NOT to be arrested for child abuse! However, if the opportunity arises again, I may not be so controlled next time..... should I make sure he's passed his swimming profiency test before or after I kick the little t**t into touch?

Janet

silly girl the "nice" ones are sent in first to soften up the quarry ,the nasty ones distract you whilst the nice one pees in your flask :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You should have phoned the police and got him carted off back to school, then had his mum dragged to the police station to explain why she had lallowed him to bunk off.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

should I make sure he's passed his swimming profiency test before or after I kick the little t**t into touch?

Janet

No, you should make sure the large concrete block is firmly tied first :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Not in my flask they don't! They wouldn't DARE!

Stop being such a cynic! They're not all bad. Just the one little t**t I came across that ruined my whole day's fishing. The one I'll never forgive. The one I'd like to see jointed, skewered with garlic cloves then gently roasted...

I'm not one to bear a grudge....

Janet

Was there anything I could have done apart from just give up, as I did?

Janet

Absolutely nothing,

Rant on:

There is no circumstance in which a child's word will not be taken in favour of an adult's in an accusation of abuse and it then becomes incumbent upon the adult to prove their innocence. And no, 'innocent until proven guilty' doesn't hold!

Even when an accusation is proven to be false or malicious in nature, there will be no action taken against the child - it not being, 'in the child's best interest'.

We've given the sods 'rights' but forgotten to insist on responsibility and forgotten the concept of a privilege.

Most of them have no understanding of, 'don't' or 'no' as basic concepts.

Children are not little adults - they are pack animals who will turn upon the weakest in the pack and rip them to pieces - Children need strong pack leaders and if adults can't or won't insist upon that being their role........

And as Peter said, you should have called the police and reported youngsters out of school on a school day..

Rant off:

Len