OK Prowler Trident

SpeciMan

It looks to me like every serious offshore Kayakfisherman's dream-a true contender for an Isle of Wight circumnavigation/fishfinding mission :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really comment, as you can see the water was glassy, but it's the same longitudinal hatch as the Big Game & will be higher than the P13 because it's a deeper boat. We have changed the forward hatch attachment as there is now a brilliant four way buckle on the market that we've used on our sea kayaks with great success that will be on the new models where necessary. I'd always be wary of opening a through to hull hatch at sea if there's a likelihood of taking a wave...used properly, as always, there should be no problem

The changes come about through people's feedback - if it's practical & possible we try to incorporate changes suggested by users...it is by far the best form of market research so thanks to all for suggestions. Spike Gladwin, the designer is a Brit & is rated as top of the tree currently but he's the first to admit the influence & inspiration of the end user.

Andrew

(JO UK)

Yep noticed the 4 way buckle, a much better engineered solution, might be a retrofit possibility on the 13 although the fixings appear different.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

No - my comparisons were based around the Dorado £ price being quoted in $ - I just did the maths bit to validify the actual difference.

Final prices in the UK are projected to be £750-800 for the standard version...fully fitted inc. 343 F/F, rudder, paddle, deluxe seat etc getting on for twice that. Always difficult to finalise without knowing how many fit in a container etc. Also final price is not defined yet for US.

NB When looking at US prices... they don't include delivery (paid by the customer & more punitive in Florida than Washington State) or state sales tax..their equivalent of VAT & rate varies by state.

Hope this is clear

Andrew

Thata quite a lot, what does the basic package entail?

Seems to be getting close to a Dorado, and I know which one I would prefer!

The Dorado is fully kitted out and tried and tested!

How come we always get stuff later than the americans and pay more :bones:

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

Stu - we pay more because of a couple of things:

shipping - in the US they can stick the container on a train or truck - it has to cross the Atlantic first, then get trucked from the port (currently a container costs around £600 to truck over here)

Then there is the import duty and VAT to pay - and you pay the VAT on the value of the goods, the import duty and shipping cost.

Then you have the dealer's overheads to pay - and business rates in this country are extortionate, then the employment costs of the staff..........and it goes on and on.

Then take into account in the USA you probably have a market of 5,000,000 potential kayak anglers - and over here about 5,000.

Fewer purchasers covering higher overheads. Which is why you should support the little man!

This doesn't just go for kayaks - but think how your local tackle shop feels - he is doing his best and then you go and buy stuff overseas - so when he isn't there for you to get your bait from, you'll understand why. If you want the facility, you have to support it. If you don't support him he goes bust - then you have lost the local outlet. You can't have it both ways. Just look at sub post offices in villages, or the local grocer etc........buy in Tesco and you only have Tesco. The little shop cannnot compete and in the end it is the customer who loses out because with little competition the supermarkets have the local economy by the short and curlies - and then the customer pays!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Am I missing something her?? The basic Prowler is around half the price of the dorado. The fully fitted Prowler comes out around the same , but includes loads of extras not included in the Dorado price eg FF , paddle , luxury seat etc. :blink:

Ok Prowler 13

• 4 weeks later...

It's certainly a good looking kayak. However I think the FF hatch is a gimmick and a waste of deck space. Also why don't OK design comfortable built in seats like the WS, LL and the new Perception yaks? The other Trident fittings still look pretty average when compared to WS to.

Why don't OK adopt some of these features that other makes use, a good design is a good design after all?

JRT

It's certainly a good looking kayak. However I think the FF hatch is a gimmick and a waste of deck space. Also why don't OK design comfortable built in seats like the WS, LL and the new Perception yaks? The other Trident fittings still look pretty average when compared to WS to.

Why don't OK adopt some of these features that other makes use, a good design is a good design after all?

JRT

JRT

Thanks for your kind observation on the looks...

All I can suggest is that you try it...Most of the other manufacturers have copied our designs over the years...it's called the sincerest form of flattery but the reason (& please forgive the plug but it is fact based) that we sell more boats than the rest put together is that we innovate - you lead or you follow!

The FF hatch in common with most of the features is a response to demand from yak fishermen, it serves the dual function of spray deflection & protection when folded & as a sunshield for the screen when raised. If you prefer to use it as deck space then you can - there's a handy space beneath & you can get at the back of the lid to fit nuts to bolts...could it be more versatile :-)?

As for seats we supply two versions (one much vaunted on this & other forums but with our logo & some extra accessory options added)but our pretty average fittings are designed & placed to take most of the accessory back rests on the market - my favourite backrest is the cheapest we do because it suits my back - it's about preference you see?

My apologies if this sounds defensive - I'm paid to say nice things about Ocean Kayaks...I have also sat my biased butt in this boat & paddled it for a couple of miles & think it will have broad appeal particularly to those who are venturing a little further in search of productive marks...we try to cover most of the bases hence the size of the range.

Hoping that we'll have it for the Southampton Boat Show (14th-23rd September) or a little before..BO54 is the stand number & we have toffees!!

Regards

Andrew

(Johnson Outdoors UK)

To be fair the WS seats are pants, most tarpon owners buy an aftermarket seat.

I would love to buy a prowler but those foot pegs are just not my thing. Andrew if you build me a trident without them slots and stick a slidey on it I would love you forever (ok maybe not love you personaly).

I dont ride an O.K but I take my hat of to them for the money they put into R&D and for following it through with new models and mods.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

If we shout loud enough they will build anything we want :)

We are their customers...

Unfortunately not enough kayak fisherman yet so it is a small market!

Edited by s2vto

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse