Elite, trident, or p13

stevem

Hi all,

I bought a green p13 last September and planned to use it in salt and fresh water, however all of my fishing up to now has been in the sea and I can't see this changing (its too good).

The prowler is my first kayak and I have no major issues with it, I'm 6"3 14-15 st and get a fair bit of water in the footwells which I believe is the norm and everything else seems great.

I am thinking of getting a mango or flame (one of the bright ones) elite or possibly waiting for the trident to arrive but have no experience of either of these kayaks.

Can anyone who has paddled the elite and p13 tell me if it is worth upgrading to the elite.

Is the ride a bit drier, faster, better etc. Or should I hang on and see how the trident reviews or just stick with the p13 and hi viz clothing.

Any advice appreciated

Steve

Hi all,

I bought a green p13 last September and planned to use it in salt and fresh water, however all of my fishing up to now has been in the sea and I can't see this changing (its too good).

The prowler is my first kayak and I have no major issues with it, I'm 6"3 14-15 st and get a fair bit of water in the footwells which I believe is the norm and everything else seems great.

I am thinking of getting a mango or flame (one of the bright ones) elite or possibly waiting for the trident to arrive but have no experience of either of these kayaks.

Can anyone who has paddled the elite and p13 tell me if it is worth upgrading to the elite.

Is the ride a bit drier, faster, better etc. Or should I hang on and see how the trident reviews or just stick with the p13 and hi viz clothing.

Any advice appreciated

Steve

I have the flame prowler elite, It is my first yak and overall I am pretty happy with it. sorry I cant give you a direct comparison to the p13 but I am 6ft and not far off 15st and I always have a bit of water sloshing around the footwells. I was beginning to wonder wether I should have looked at the big game before I bought the elite but decided that speed was more important than extra stability and dryness. I am having a paddle on a BG this saturday though so I might be regretting that !!

Having had a paddle on a few different yaks last week I must say that I am very impressed with the elites speed, however in a following wind or sea it can be pain to keep in a straight line so I think I will be investing in a rudder system soon.

Rob

i have a prowler elite in mango flame and have paddle a prowler 13 and didn't find a massive difference in speed(I think alot is down to the individual skill of the paddler) i'm 6' and weigh in at about 217lbs and get water in the footwells at rest as well but i,m not bothered as i wear a drysuit anyway. i liked the fact that the elite has the recess for the fish finder making it a piece of cake to install, i found the elite is stable and i can fish from it side saddle and move around to get anything i need without worry(haven't tried to stand up in it but then i don't see the need to).

All in all i think its a cracking yak but would i trade up from a 13 if i had one instead, good question, if i had already kitted the 13 out with fishfinder etc probably not. but thats just my opinion. will i trade up to a trident when they are launched here, once again no i find the elite is ideal for what i want so i don't need to bother.I can see your point about the visibilty at sea of a green prowler but is it worth the cost and trouble of upgrading i my not sure i possibly would do but once again thats just my opinion.

Hi Steve,

I have a green prowler15 which I bought as it came up cheap, I use a yellow paddle and a hi-vis PFD in red. The misses has told me several times that when she is sitting on the beach she can see e fine wih the jacket and the flash of my paddles. I certainly would not change the 15 its a great Yak.

ChrisW